Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for Those Who Do Hand Applique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-those-who-do-hand-applique-t88438.html)

weezie 01-07-2011 12:05 PM

Hi! Several years ago, I made a hand appliqued quilt top using ordinary Coats & Clark machine thread. It worked fine and the finished top looks fine. However, I want to do much more hand applique in future and have read that quality silk should be the thread of choice. I don't have any yet. I do have several hundred colors of rayon (plus some cones of polyester) machine embroidery thread. Would those of you who do a lot of hand applique consider using M.E. thread? Or have you tried it? (If I try it, possibly that would answer my own question.)

Darlene 01-07-2011 12:16 PM

I wouldn't be afraid to use it.

leaha 01-07-2011 12:18 PM

I use quilt thread, but have heard that the silk is best, I suppose if I were to get into a lot of appliqueing I might try to find some silk, at least one spool to try out and see if I liked it better.

Hinterland 01-07-2011 12:18 PM

I don't know much about rayon and how it holds up to washing, but I think it should be okay for applique. You don't have to use silk thread - in fact, some quilters really don't like it at all.

I would use 60 weight cotton thread if I had a local source for it. Since I don't, I use the silk thread and I'm happy with the results. I'm sure the rayon will be fine.

Maggiesmom 01-07-2011 12:26 PM

I have used both silk and machine embroidery thread. I like both. With thread being so expensive now I didn't see the need to go and buy more silk thread when I already have hundreds of spools of ME thread. I would say us the ME if you have it.

humbird 01-07-2011 12:29 PM

I use plain ole cotton. Haven't had any problems, but have heard that silk is "the one to use" Don't know about rayon. I'll just stick to cotton. I also use the ladder stitch when doing applique, and generally only use off white for all the stitching.

LivelyLady 01-07-2011 12:35 PM

I use silk, but rayon or embrodiery thread should give the same almost invisible stitch. I'll be interested to know how you like it.

kathy 01-07-2011 01:14 PM

I found the emb. thread to fray rather quickly at the eye. I've been collecting silk colors, it is expensive but that's all I use it for so it should last a while. silk and rayon are weak when wet so maybe the quilts should be washed on gentle

ckcowl 01-07-2011 01:18 PM

i do alot of hand applique :thumbup: i do LOVE using the silk threads, they are very fine, strong, and smooth...but i also use LOTS of other threads. i too have alot of embroidery thread, rayons, cottons, poly's i usually choose my thread by color for my project, and strength, i aways check to see if it breaks easy before using it...but if the color's right, and i try a small bit of applique and it works smoothly i use it.

MadQuilter 01-07-2011 01:38 PM

I use what I have available and pay more attention to the color than the brand. I prefer to use the thinner threads to applique and as long as the thread is still good quality - I use what I have.