Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question to those who do Red Work, please. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-those-who-do-red-work-please-t173001.html)

quiltingcandy 12-23-2011 09:42 PM

Question to those who do Red Work, please.

What type/brand thread do you use? Do you use the standard 6 strand embroidery floss? Or do you use the heavier thread? Do you buy it on the skein or by the ball?

Also, while I am asking, what fabric do you use?

I keep looking at all the wonderful quilts, table runners, etc. and would love to do some.

Thank you in advance for your response!

sew1096 12-23-2011 11:44 PM

I love the Sulky blendables in 12 wt. the best but I have also used DMC floss with either 1 or 2 strands depending on the project.

ckcowl 12-24-2011 02:48 AM

i use DMC floss for redwork embroidery- the colors do not fade or bleed, and it is fairly easy to locate.
as for fabric- it is up to you-i've done a couple redwork embroideries on bleached muslin- other's on a white on white quilting cotton.
i also use a (foundation) a second layer of bleached muslin held behind the embroidery-and stitched through- this keeps any thread ends/carry overs from showing through. a lightweight stablizer will help with this also-but i just use muslin- it is easy to stitch through

donac 12-24-2011 03:03 AM

I have been working with pearl cotton for the last coupleof months and like it. I don't know how safe it is to wash but I like the feel.

Jackie Spencer 12-24-2011 04:09 AM

I use the DMC floss. I like to use cream on cream or white on white cotton fabrics. This gives you more texture on your work and it does not look so flat. I use a light weight batting behind mine, and stitched through. (quilters Dream)Helps to hide those threads and knots that might otherwise show through.

hybearn8er 12-24-2011 04:35 AM

check out Bird brain designs,she sells floss,patterns and gives free designs

ka9sdn 12-24-2011 06:23 AM

I use DMC floss 2 or three strands depending on how thick I want it to look. I use white moda but I have also used a tiny print and it looks neat.

willferg 12-24-2011 09:00 AM

I use DMC floss and use two strands usually, although sometimes three. I just recently tried the perle cotton and I like 12 weight but have found that 8 seems much more common. I have also been using some silk rayon floss that is gorgeous, soft, and shiny. I found it above the other DMC floss, and I'm hooked on it!

FroggyinTexas 12-24-2011 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 4806939)
What type/brand thread do you use? Do you use the standard 6 strand embroidery floss? Or do you use the heavier thread? Do you buy it on the skein or by the ball?

Also, while I am asking, what fabric do you use?

I keep looking at all the wonderful quilts, table runners, etc. and would love to do some.

Thank you in advance for your response!

I use top quality muslin, either bleached or unbleached and DMC floss. The great thing about DMC is that you can always match the colors exactly and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. froggyintexas

quiltingcandy 12-25-2011 11:07 PM

Thank you all for your help. I hope to do some this year. I have a lot of projects in my head but wasn't sure what to buy.