Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for those who FMQ on a Janome MC9900/Elna EXpressive 860 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-those-who-fmq-janome-mc9900-elna-expressive-860-a-t281620.html)

mkc 08-25-2016 02:51 AM

Question for those who FMQ on a Janome MC9900/Elna EXpressive 860

For those who use one of these specific machines for FMQ - are you using the optional QB-S convertible quilting foot and if so, does it "hop" like a darning foot?

My primary machine is a Janome 7700 and it's equivalent QB-H foot is stationary when FMQ. My travel machine is the Elna 860 (it's the twin to the Janome MC9900 combo machine) and I just tried FMQ on it for the first time yesterday. The hopping of the QB-S is very distracting and I was very surprised that it hops - don't see any little arm that contacts the needle bar like on a darning foot, so there's no modification a la Leah Day to do. Watching it while turning the wheel by hand the presser foot shaft of the machine actually goes up and down, so I think it's the machine making it hop.

Just checking to see if this is "as designed"; I'm traveling so I can't check with my dealer.

Thanks,

Michelle

ManiacQuilter2 08-25-2016 03:46 AM

Sorry, but I use a Bernina 1530 and I have various feet and the all hop. When the foot goes up, that is when you time to move your fabric easily. Maybe a clear plastic one won't bother you as much as a metal one. Do a search on a FMQ foot called the Big Foot.

mkc 08-25-2016 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7635841)
Sorry, but I use a Bernina 1530 and I have various feet and the all hop.

Thanks anyway - my 7700's QB-H foot doesn't hop and I had expected this QB-S, which looks almost identical except for the offset to be the same (hovers steady above the fabric).

Prism99 08-25-2016 08:50 AM

There are two types of FMQ foot -- the hopping foot and A foot that simply glides over the quilt at a certain height. Most machines have both feet as optional accessories, but I don't know about your specific machines.

junebug987 08-25-2016 05:39 PM

I have the janome 7700 it came with a free motion foot that floats on fabric no hopping. I really like it and would ask my dealer about this.

mkc 08-26-2016 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by junebug987 (Post 7636592)
I have the janome 7700 it came with a free motion foot that floats on fabric no hopping. I really like it and would ask my dealer about this.

Yes, that's the QB-H I have on my 7700 and LOVE it :-)

The QB-S for the 9mm combo machines is basically the same foot, just a little different because of the needle drop placement. I'm trying to figure out why the machine is "hopping" that foot since it's designed to hover. As I mentioned, I'm traveling and am about 2000 miles from my dealer so I can't take the machine in and show them what's going on ;-) I was hoping to find someone else with the same setup who could confirm whether this is as-designed or if I'm doing something wrong.

Michelle