Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for those who have a Bernina 820 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-those-who-have-bernina-820-a-t221129.html)

matraina 05-09-2013 02:30 PM

Question for those who have a Bernina 820

I have a Bernina 820. I made a baby quilt and started to quilt it. I used Mettler thread in the bobbin and on top. I kept getting lots of skipped stitches, some of them quite big. It looks as though the needle did not go through the fabric at points. I took out the bobbin and top thread and made sure there was no fuzz or anything else and then I rethreaded. No luck. Can any of you out there give me some suggestions? Thank you very much for your suggestions.

BellaBoo 05-09-2013 02:53 PM

What size needle did you use and what is the wt and ply of the Mettler thread?

Tartan 05-09-2013 03:09 PM

Are you using the new 820 with the BSR? I just got my 440 with the BSR back from the tech due to skipped stitches. The timing was off from me hitting something and breaking a needle. I tried new needle, changed tensions, cleaned, oiled, etc. and I finally admitted defeat and took her in for adjustments.

carolina quilter 05-09-2013 04:00 PM

Did you use spray basting? Mine works well WITHOUT the spray basting and I do not like pins! Haven't tried glue basting, but will.

tutt 05-09-2013 04:21 PM

I have an 820 and have had the same problem. Carolina quilter is correct, I can't free motion if I spray baste. I almost ruined a baby quilt before I discovered the problem. I have also discovered that when I use the BRS to not plug it into the machine and I have better success. You should also have it serviced and have the spring replaced. There was a problem with the BSR and it needed a stronger spring. Good luck!

matraina 05-10-2013 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 6055026)
What size needle did you use and what is the wt and ply of the Mettler thread?

I used a 90/40 microtex needle and a Mettler 100% cotton silk-finish, No. 50.

matraina 05-10-2013 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by carolina quilter (Post 6055151)
Did you use spray basting? Mine works well WITHOUT the spray basting and I do not like pins! Haven't tried glue basting, but will.

I did use spray basting. I don't want to pin either. If that's the problem, is the whole quilt ruined? Do I have to hand baste? I'm starting to feel terrible. What did you use if you did not spray baste?

matraina 05-10-2013 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6055062)
Are you using the new 820 with the BSR? I just got my 440 with the BSR back from the tech due to skipped stitches. The timing was off from me hitting something and breaking a needle. I tried new needle, changed tensions, cleaned, oiled, etc. and I finally admitted defeat and took her in for adjustments.

Yes, it is the new 820 with BSR. I just got it back for another problem I was having. That machine has sure caused me a lot of grief for its price.

Nammie to 7 05-10-2013 11:13 AM

I think your needle might be too big for your thread - that could cause skipped stitches. I have the 830 and know it can be sometimes have issues but I love that machine. It works best when used frequently. Most issues occur when it has been sitting for very long. These machines only like to do one thing at a time - no multitasking allowed. It can also be very fussy about the thread you use. Just took a class last night on using the BSR. Am now learning how to quilt my own quilts.

SuzieQuilts 05-10-2013 02:56 PM

I too, have had a problem with skipped stitches with my 820. A heavier spring in the BSR, and 90 microtex needles seems to be the answer. I use the BSR 2 feature, and I put my tension on 3.5. I clean the lint often throughout the quilt, and replace the needle when it starts skipping.