Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for those who make quilts for customers... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-those-who-make-quilts-customers-t194421.html)

sylviak 07-12-2012 11:25 AM

Question for those who make quilts for customers...

I've been asked to make a queen-sized wedding quilt for a young woman's sister. We've picked a pattern that I don't think will be difficult and she also bought the fabric for it. I'm in the process of cutting it out, but I'm not sure what to charge her for the actual construction of the quilt. I've quilted for other people before and know how to charge for that, but not for making it. How do some of you charge? By the size? Difficulty of pattern? I have trouble keeping track of my time since I'm in and out a lot.

QuiltnNan 07-12-2012 11:34 AM

i never know what to charge. as to keeping track of your time, i've seen that some members keep a stop clock and start it when beginning work and hitting the stop when leaving the work.

BellaBoo 07-12-2012 11:39 AM

3 1/2 times the cost of supplies is the rule for labor cost for most all business and contractors when no time deadline is set.

ckcowl 07-12-2012 11:55 AM

price should definitly be discussed & agreed upon LONG before even cutting a piece of fabric!
3 x cost of material is a good place to start- you can adjust up or down from there as you see fit.
i charge anywhere from $350-$500 for a basic queen sized quilt- i also supply the materials. and of course it depends on the pattern. but it needs to be figured out before you go any further- she may have no idea what it cost's to have a quilt made---and may change her mind

dunster 07-12-2012 12:42 PM

I've never understood the 3 x cost factor for quilting, because that would mean you would get paid less if you work with fabrics that are cheap or on sale. I can see where it might make sense in an industry where costs are pretty much the same, but not for quilting. But be sure, as others said, to get the amount agreed before you start. Non-quilters seldom have any idea how much time it takes to make a quilt, how much fabric and batting it takes, or how expensive those materials are.

BellaBoo 07-12-2012 02:14 PM

Never make a quilt for someone that buys or insists on cheap fabric. The quilt will shred at seams, or fade and you will get the blame for a bad job. On sale fabric is great but you still charge as regular price. That's business.

jcrow 07-12-2012 02:24 PM

I just watched Marianne Porter of Fons and Porter say that a regular quilter, if they have to figure out how much to charge for making a quilt, the low-ball number would be $20 an hour. She said that was really the lowest figure to start with, so I know that $20 is not where you would want to start. Maybe $25-30 an hour. Write on a piece of paper how long you spend every time you leave your sewing studio.

hopetoquilt 07-12-2012 04:36 PM

Something to mull over: If it is someone you know well or are concerned she won't want to or be able to pay more than what you would charge for the quilting, could you barter something for the time piecing and charge for the quilting?

I frequently barter or trade off. I feel badly asking someone to watch my kids but need to ask sometimes. I will trade off and watch theirs, make them food, make a table runner or baby quilt, babysit for them... I have even painted a bedroom for a friend who watched my kids a few times and I helped "unhoard" and organize for another friend.

Bartering is easier way to go if $$ makes you feel uncomfortable, especially b/c you didn't discuss the price in advance.
Hope that helps.

sylviak 07-12-2012 07:24 PM

Actually, I did discuss price with her and told her it might run as high as $400. She was OK with that, but I didn't want to gouge her. We picked the fabric together, so it is good fabric. It sounds like I'm in the right price range. I just don't usually make them from scratch for other people. Thanks, for all the help.