Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question using Elmers glue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-using-elmers-glue-t292998.html)

ruby2shoes 12-01-2017 01:50 PM

Question using Elmers glue

Can I still use some pins to secure my quilt if I have used Elmers washable glue or will the pins get stuck with the glue and not be able to be removed? I am using Elmers' for the first time and am wanting to put some pins in as well just to "be sure".

Prism99 12-01-2017 02:21 PM

You can use pins; they will be fine. It's white Elmer's washable *school* glue, right? It's basically a heavy starch, so it would be like pinning through starched fabric.

QuiltnNan 12-01-2017 02:28 PM

i've glued and pinned. the pin got slightly stuck, but still easy to remove.

Sewnoma 12-01-2017 02:52 PM

You should be fine - if the pin does seem a bit stuck, just give it a twist and the rotation should break it free and let you slip it right out.

The glue gets kind of crispy when it's dry, it doesn't stay gummy at all. If it does seem gummy, that means it's not quite dry yet. A warm iron can help hurry that up.

ruby2shoes 12-01-2017 06:05 PM

Thankyou so much for your responses; glad to know that I can still use some pins. I am really looking forward to giving this a try. Yes Prism, definately Elmers' white washable school glue.

ube quilting 12-03-2017 05:13 AM

My ? is if you are using Elmers' School Glue to hold pieces in place when sewing, why is there a need for pins. I use ESG all the time and have never needed the extra holding power of pins.

What are you working on that needs extra pinning?

ESG is my go to tool when working with bias pieces like HSTs and doing binding. I make a lot of mini quilts and love the way ESG works to hold those tiny pieces together and just a dot at intersections keeps them nicely aligned . There is never a slip up using the glue.

I even use it for curved piecing with no extra pinning.

Stitchnripper 12-03-2017 05:23 AM

I'm about 15 quilts into the elmers washable school glue for basting and I agree with everyone's comments. Sometimes I will put a pin or two at the edge if I am quilting close to it and didn't get the glue all the way out. I love
This method. Haven't had any issues. But yes it should be completely dry.

klswift 12-03-2017 07:45 AM

Elmer's glue (as with almost all white glues) are PVA glue. The only difference is the amount of water in the bottle, hence the price difference. They are all water based. So, if you have a sticking problem, apply a few drops of water. This will soften the glue and the pin will release. This is the same reason you should not use these glues on projects that will get wet - the glue will release as it gets wet. (FYI - Mod Podge is simply the same pva glue with a gel component that allows for a more even spread.) Those of us who build items (terrain, fairy houses, etc) buy basic jugs of PVA dirt cheap and then water it down to whatever level we need to use it.

Jane Quilter 12-03-2017 07:48 AM

I can't live without my glue or my pins.....both have their applications.

ruby2shoes 12-03-2017 11:11 AM

Thanks for the replies. Why am I thinking of using pins as well? .....Just nervous I guess!