Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question on width of binding...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-width-binding-t211602.html)

21quilter 01-21-2013 10:33 AM

Question on width of binding......

I am making a sample for our quilt club and the directions from the patterns are not specific. My little wallhanging is 8" x 22". What width should I cut my binding strips? The pattern just says that you need 1/4 yard for binding but doesn't tell you what width to cut the strips.

I think my usual 2 1/2" would make way too wide of a binding for such a little quilt. Opinions, please.....

dunster 01-21-2013 10:45 AM

I would want 1/4" binding for the little quilt. I would cut it at just a smidge over 1.5" for a double fold binding. The "smidge" is to allow for the width of the quilt as the binding goes around it, so allow for a bigger smidge if the batting is thicker.

Holice 01-21-2013 11:36 AM

The width of the cut binding has a direct relation to the width of the seam. A good guide to start with is cut the binding 6 x the width of the seam allowance (this is for a double fold binding) No this doesn't always work depending on the depth of the batting.
Also, the width of the binding also depends on if you have to maintain a 1/4" for seams on the quilt top. If no outside seams then the binding can be wider. But it a choise and how the finished product will look.
As an example I use 3/8" seam allowances and cut the binding 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" depending on the batting.
The binding should be full and seam even and consistent. Suggest you start with a 1.5" and try a short section and see if this will give you the look you want. If too tight then make the cut binding a bit larger.

ube quilting 01-21-2013 02:50 PM

Or do a knife edge or bring the backing to the front on a small quilt sample. I usually use a 2" wide binding on small quilts. On mini quilts I do either of the other two methods for less bulk on a tiny quilt.
peace

EDIT: on small quilts I don't usually do double fold binding either, just single fold.

pollyjvan9 01-21-2013 04:33 PM

I like a very narrow binding on small quilts. I would go with Dunsters instructions for the 1/4" binding.

Tartan 01-21-2013 04:38 PM

If your binding is a dark colour, you could probably bind it with single fold binding at 1 and 1/8 as Duster suggested.

ktbb 01-21-2013 06:50 PM

Variation on what Holice said - the rule of thumb taught me by my first quilt teacher is for a hand finished binding, multiply the finished binding width (seam allowance) by 7 to get the width to cut your strips for folded binding. different concept - neither one is wrong - so try both to see which works best for you. Since I always finish my bindings by machine, I multiply by 7 and add a quarter inch to give me that tad extra for machining.

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 5802720)
The width of the cut binding has a direct relation to the width of the seam. A good guide to start with is cut the binding 6 x the width of the seam allowance (this is for a double fold binding) No this doesn't always work depending on the depth of the batting.
Also, the width of the binding also depends on if you have to maintain a 1/4" for seams on the quilt top. If no outside seams then the binding can be wider. But it a choise and how the finished product will look.
As an example I use 3/8" seam allowances and cut the binding 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" depending on the batting.
The binding should be full and seam even and consistent. Suggest you start with a 1.5" and try a short section and see if this will give you the look you want. If too tight then make the cut binding a bit larger.

Scissor Queen 01-21-2013 08:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 21quilter (Post 5802592)
I am making a sample for our quilt club and the directions from the patterns are not specific. My little wallhanging is 8" x 22". What width should I cut my binding strips? The pattern just says that you need 1/4 yard for binding but doesn't tell you what width to cut the strips.

I think my usual 2 1/2" would make way too wide of a binding for such a little quilt. Opinions, please.....

These three wall hangings are 8 x 24. I cut my binding 2.5, pressed in half and I used a slightly wider than a quarter inch seam to put it on.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]389870[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]389871[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]389872[/ATTACH]

Donnamarie 01-22-2013 01:43 PM

I usually cut 2 1/2" for larger quilts and 2 1/4" for wall hanging. When sewing binding to quilt, sew ~1/3 in from edge (not 1/4"). One third in binding, one third for back and one third for front side of binding.

quilttiger 01-22-2013 04:56 PM

Same as Donnamarie, I use 2.5 inch strips for some lap quilts, larger quilts, especially flannel ones and 2.25 inch strips for small wall hangings, thin quilts, table runners, etc. I am a tad conused...do you mean one third the width of the strip (not 1/3 inch) ?