Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Questioning which way is better (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/questioning-way-better-t259801.html)

JanineH 01-16-2015 11:14 AM

Questioning which way is better

3 Attachment(s)
I started this quilt top which I loved when I got the free pattern. I think it might be a little to advanced for me but I will do it anyway. It just might take awhile. The pattern says to sew the rows together first but I'm thinking they might not be straight as they will be so long. My question is could I sew several rows of about 3 pieces and put them together to make blocks? Then sew the blocks together? I just want to try to keep it straight. I want to make this to fit a queen size bed. Thanks in advance for your experienced help.

Doggramma 01-16-2015 11:26 AM

I sew quilts in "chunks" all the time. Then just put the chunks together. I have a problem keeping long sections straight and even on the edges!

JanineH 01-16-2015 11:51 AM

Thank you for your quick response. That was the answer I was hoping for because I don't think I would be able to keep the rows straight.

GingerK 01-16-2015 11:54 AM

Yes, there would be nothing wrong with doing it that way. It would certainly be easier to handle. If you do decide to sew the loooooong rows together, remember to alternate the direction (sew one starting at the top and then sew the next one starting at the bottom.) If you sew many long seams in the same direction, the fabric becomes skewed or curved.

I like your pattern and your fabrics. I don't think it is too hard to make--just take your time and keep matching your seams. It is going to look fabulous!

slbram17 01-16-2015 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Doggramma (Post 7050257)
I sew quilts in "chunks" all the time. Then just put the chunks together. I have a problem keeping long sections straight and even on the edges!

I have noticed that too, the longer strips don't lay flat at some point, aggravating.

Jan in VA 01-16-2015 12:24 PM

I always sew in sections! It eliminates some matching seams and those long rows you mentioned. Can't even imagine doing this one in long rows!! Yikes!!:shock:

Jan in VA

ManiacQuilter2 01-16-2015 01:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did this quilt but I went in the opposite direction to sew my rows vertical. I sewed one brick with the white on the left and the flip the other one so the white was on the right. That was my row which was much easier to keep straight.

PenniF 01-16-2015 02:09 PM

It's your work....sew it together the way the works best for you. As long as you are organized in your "block" making - there is no reason not to do it the way you are most comfortable with. Your fabrics are great..It's going to be a beauty !!!

JanineH 01-16-2015 02:15 PM

Thanks. The pattern called for 1930's prints. I ordered a fat eighth bundle on eBay so I got a big variety of colors and prints.

quiltmouse 01-16-2015 05:11 PM

JanineH, I love your colors/fabrics.

Maniac, I also love your soft florals.

These are very pretty quilts