Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Questions about certain tools (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/questions-about-certain-tools-t285653.html)

Kythcat 01-30-2017 09:11 PM

Questions about certain tools

I've been reading over the board like it's all going to disappear, and have come up with a couple of questions (ok, maybe more than a couple) about certain tools/items you all use.

Spray starch: I've seen this many times mentioned, and was wondering what do you all use? Do you get in the cans or make it up in a spray bottle?

Stiletto: I know what it is, but what is it actually used for?

School Glue: I haven't seen it referenced here, but wanted your opinion on the use. Thinking both washable white school glue and the glue stick.

And one last item:
any links to the abbreviations you all use?? I have puzzled out FMQ as free-motion quilting, but there have been others that make me wonder what you all are talking about.

I know I'll have more questions as time goes on. I feel so new to the quilting game, but am eager to learn.

Peckish 01-30-2017 09:50 PM

Spray starch: I use Niagra in the pump bottle, not the aerosol spray. My family likes the smell. I get it at the grocery store (Safeway).

Stiletto: I use it to help maintain control on fabric as I feed it into the sewing machine. I also use it to help when I'm pressing (small pieces, applique, etc) and want to keep my fingers out of the hot steam.

School Glue: I use Elmer's washable school glue instead of pins, I find it's much more accurate. Others use it for basting their quilts before quilting. If you search for "glue basting" you will find several threads with loads of information about that. (You want to make sure you use washable as in it will wash out, not washable as in it's permanent and won't wash out. Hence the reason most of us use Elmer's school glue.)

There are several posts with abbreviations, but this one should get you started.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t178507.html

Welcome!

quiltingcandy 01-30-2017 10:41 PM

I buy spray starch in the can when I can't find the one in the bottle. I usually get Faultless or Niagra - again is depends on what I can find. The Dollar Tree has a nice one that I buy from time to time Maybe because it is so casual down here, but sometimes it is hard to find spray starch. (I don't use it enough to consider making my own.)

Like Peckish, I use a stiletto to help guide fabric when I am piecing fabrics - once you get your finger hit by the needle bar going up and down you realize why people need it. And it is nice to use when ironing those smaller pieces - they do get hot.

For basting - I prefer to use the temporary adhesive sprays like 505 or Sulky 2000. But I do use the Elmer's School Glue sticks (or whatever brand I find on sale) to keep seams matched and to hold long seams. I usually have the Clover clips hold it while the glue dries. (If I can avoid using pins, I will.)

Peckish provided you the acronyms path - you will find your favorites to use. It really doesn't take long to get to know them. When I started people kept using LQS and it threw me a curve until it dawned on me that it meant Local Quilt Shop. It's okay to ask if people use one that makes no sense to you. Think of "LOL" - means laugh out loud to a lot of people, for others it mean Lots of Love.

Welcome and stick with us - as a rule we are all friendly people and like to help others.

NJ Quilter 01-31-2017 05:13 AM

You've gotten answers to most of your questions - I'll just offer a couple of other opinions.

I use the liquid starch (Sta-Flo - usually from Walmart) and mix up a solution of about 50/50 in small quantities and use in a generic spray bottle. I'll use the Niagra aerosol when nothing else is around but I find that the liquid mix soaks into the fabric better. Plus, if you have bias edges you're working with, you can mix it stronger and make those pieces stiff as boards if you desired.

Stiletto - I don't have a specifically purchased one. On the odd occasion I need something pointy like that or have a particularly tiny spot, I'll use my stitch ripper as a stiletto. Otherwise, I use the edge of my finger right up against the edge of the foot while feeding fabric to help keep the fabric in place while sewing. Never thought about using the stiletto while ironing to not burn my fingers! Who knew!

Have never used glue in quilting so can't offer any opinions on that particular subject.

Good luck.

Charleen DiSante 01-31-2017 05:36 AM

I love the responses, proving yet again, that quilters can be a very helpful lot. I learned something too and I've been around 'a while'.

Sandra in Minnesota 01-31-2017 05:37 PM

Instead of using a stiletto to guide fabric thru in front of the needle, I use a wooden chop stick. It is free.

jmoore 02-01-2017 04:07 AM

Welcome to the QB.

I don't own a stiletto but have a "purple thang" for feeding smallish pieces through my presser foot...a Pampered Chef citrus peeler also does the trick.

Frances41 02-01-2017 05:16 AM

stiletto----I use orange sticks.

Ariannaquilts 02-01-2017 05:19 AM

There are a number of things you can use in place of pricey items, I use an old orange stick as a stiletto. BTW I want to welcome you to the board and also to this wonderful world of quilting. Any questions just ask away you will always find an answer here!

joe'smom 02-01-2017 07:25 AM

For starch, I use Best Press.

For a stiletto, I use my seam ripper.

I use the school glue for glue-basting my binding, and I use Roxanne's Glue Baste-It when I need a tiny drop to hold something in place for sewing.

Welcome! You have great fun ahead of you!