Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Questions about making quilted Christmas Stockings (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/questions-about-making-quilted-christmas-stockings-t283369.html)

QuiltnLady1 10-28-2016 11:57 AM

Questions about making quilted Christmas Stockings

I am going to be making several Christmas stockings, and I have several questions.
-- What batting do you use?
-- Do you piece both sides or only the front?
-- If you only piece the front, do you use batting and quilt the back?
Thanks Much

Teacup 10-28-2016 12:38 PM

It's totally up to you. I have a new grand baby this year so I get to make another. I make up my own patterns. I crosstich the name and trim and border that for the front top. I made up my own snowman and penguin appliqués for the front and made the backs solid fabric with one inset quilt block. I line and quilt both front and back and used Thermore batting because it is thin and sturdy, but that's just my choice. You can use whatever you like.

PaperPrincess 10-28-2016 01:11 PM

I also use a thin poly batting on the front. I use fleece on the back. It's a little stretchy so you can get more in!

Altairss 10-28-2016 01:50 PM

I have a template that I use and lay out two layers of Warm and natural and cut around then I quilt as I go directly onto the batting. Sometimes I do front only pieced and use a solid piece on the back and I will FMQ both pieces it depends on my mood and if I am using up scraps or orphan blocks. Then I do the liner and join them together turn right side out ( pulled thru the opening in the liner) then I close the opening put the liner in and top stitch around the top. You can choose to use a cuff or not. Lots of options but I like the heft and feel of using batting. My template that I made is plenty roomy

QuiltnLady1 10-28-2016 01:59 PM

Thanks. I have a pattern, but for the back it is just a piece of cotton fabric, but I thought it would be too flimsy.

cjsews 10-28-2016 04:11 PM

I use the quilted fabric as a liner front and back The cuff is cross stitched with name and a design to match the stocking fabric I choose

DonnaPBradshaw 10-28-2016 08:07 PM

I purchase pre-printed stockings, I add batting to the front and use quilted fabric for the back. I quilt the front as much as I want to make it look good. I can have twice the number of stockings by not using the printed stockings for both the front and back.

AngelaS 10-29-2016 01:00 PM

I piece only the front, using poly batting leftovers and only quilt the front. :)

QuiltnLady1 10-30-2016 09:14 AM

Thanks much.

sushi 10-30-2016 04:58 PM

Another thought is to use something like Minky on the back. It's luxurious and it stretches a bit (some stretch makes it a little easier to both stuff and unstuff a stocking). You wouldn't add batting to the Minky side, of course, because:
1. It doesn't need it; and
2. You'd lose all stretch.