Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   questions about spray basting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/questions-about-spray-basting-t66652.html)

Butterflyspain 09-25-2010 05:04 AM

I used 505 for the first time on my Japanese Fan quilt. Great it worked well for me, however I did use it on the back and the front of the quilt, so one can went. I did reposition it. What I did find was because I was hand quilting it did move, so ended up having to smooth it out twice, thats how I managed to use a full can on one rather large quilt. However I did get excellent results with it.

ktbb 09-25-2010 05:34 AM

Very interesting about the Aqua Net, but I'm worried that the hairspray would have a horrible smell to it and I would have to use it inside when it is winter time up here.
My concern about the AquaNet is that tho, as one person said on the web site comment, the contents are all the same, we don't know the amount of each of the contents, so something that might harm the fabric may be in higher concentration in the hairspray than in the other product. I'd hate to use it on a good quilt and find out in a couple of years that the quilt is rotting because of the hairspray. also, hairspray dries quickly, otherwise those who use it would walk around collecting bits and pieces of trash all day on their tacky hair....how long would it hold fabrics together?

costumegirl 09-25-2010 05:43 AM

[quote=ktbb]

hairspray dries quickly, otherwise those who use it would walk around collecting bits and pieces of trash all day on their tacky hair....how long would it hold fabrics together?
LOL!!!! Wouldn't that be funny!!!!

sandpat 09-25-2010 05:48 AM

I use the 505 and it seems to be well worth the additional cost over the Sullivan's. You can use it sparingly, so a little goes a long way for me. I would never, never, never, never use Aqua Net...why would you spend all that time and money making a quilt and then not spend a couple of bucks to get a quality spray baste and possible ruin the quilt? Doesn't make sense to me, but thats just MHO..

But, try spray basting, I think you will find that you love the option!

costumegirl 09-25-2010 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I would never, never, never, never use Aqua Net...why would you spend all that time and money making a quilt and then not spend a couple of bucks to get a quality spray baste and possible ruin the quilt?

I agree - I don't know if I would want to take the chance of it yellowing or affecting the fibers. I've heard that 505 will not yellow.

twistedsheets 09-25-2010 06:05 AM

I appreciate all the info ! I will check into all that, before I try and purchase. Walmart depending on the area and state and , and is it a super walmart, their stock is different from store to store. The 2 near me are like 15 miles apart but I see a big difference in what each has. I do have a quilt shop near, and they have quite alot of fabric, but there prices start at like 9.99 a yard. Too much for me. I love to sew, and I love what's left of my family, but at those prices I like a roof over my head too. That wins. Thank you, I will check out all and price for the best bargain. Masks I can get at Home Depot or lowes. Think I have a pack in here from painting already 2 yrs ago.

twistedsheets 09-25-2010 06:09 AM

I had read about people saying elmers glue but done that in past on cd cases and trims for eyeglass cases. Its okay, but dont like using. Have plenty of that too in house. Thank you. Want it to look nice when done without being a pain to get together!

twistedsheets 09-25-2010 06:24 AM

read the link !! Yes it keeps mentioning aqua net. I do know I used to spray my moms polyester nurses uniforms to get ink out of the uniforms. Worked well, and sometimes I didn't wash then for a few days after spraying. Didn't yellow or stain. Only problem we had was the well water in Wisconsin when we lived there. It left rust on everything. Had to buy and install water conditioner system for house, then still buy special stuff and treat laundry to get rust out. May try first quilt and see how it works.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-25-2010 10:08 AM

Do you use the spray basting outside?? I want to try it but can't stand aerosols.
Thanks!

Butterflyspain 09-25-2010 10:21 AM

I used 505 indoors and it had no smell at all. Opened the windows though just in case.

Elle