Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Questions About templates/rulers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/questions-about-templates-rulers-t8784.html)

Bevanger 07-06-2008 10:16 AM

Have you ever needed a square but can't find the ruler? I'm in need of a 11 inch square and 5 in square. Does anyone make their own and how?

mic-pa 07-06-2008 11:43 AM

In your case, why can't you use a 12" ruler and a 6" ruler and square you block up.?? I doubt they even sell the size you are looking for. But a storer that cuts glass to size could cut you an acrilic ruler to the size you need. It might be a bit pricey though. Marge

bj 07-06-2008 11:50 AM

I do what mic-pa suggested. I use the next size up ruler, and just align the opposite corners on the diagonal and square it up. Sometimes I can get by with only trimming 2 sides, sometimes I have to trim all 4.

DazzleMe! 07-06-2008 12:08 PM

If you have a stain glass store, or local Home Depot or Lowes will cut a piece of plexi glass for you.

I have been to both and both were reasonable.

It might take a day or two with the stain glass place but usually the home improvement stores will do it while you wait. If you can find someone to do it for you!

Izy 07-06-2008 12:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bev, I just had DH make me a full set of templates from acrylic, it is really easy to cut and if you use your cutting mat to mark out and square up the acrylic you get perfect templates in any size you need :D Heres a picture of the set he made me.

Bevanger 07-06-2008 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
In your case, why can't you use a 12" ruler and a 6" ruler and square you block up.?? I doubt they even sell the size you are looking for. But a storer that cuts glass to size could cut you an acrilic ruler to the size you need. It might be a bit pricey though. Marge

I do have those, just not sure how to use them.

Bevanger 07-06-2008 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Bev, I just got a 5 inch square at joanns with my 40% coupon and 10% guild card so it came to about 2 dollars I think. Do you have Joann coupons there?

Yes, and I have looked for the 5 inch one but we here don't have it :x

Bevanger 07-06-2008 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Izy
Bev, I just had DH make me a full set of templates from acrylic, it is really easy to cut and if you use your cutting mat to mark out and square up the acrylic you get perfect templates in any size you need :D Heres a picture of the set he made me.

Lucky You. I asked hubby, but he said he didn't have the tools to do it. :cry:

Bevanger 07-06-2008 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by DazzleMe!
If you have a stain glass store, or local Home Depot or Lowes will cut a piece of plexi glass for you.

I have been to both and both were reasonable.

It might take a day or two with the stain glass place but usually the home improvement stores will do it while you wait. If you can find someone to do it for you!

We have a Home Depot in the next town over. I'll have to call around. Template plastic at Joanns is too thin

Bevanger 07-06-2008 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by bj
I do what mic-pa suggested. I use the next size up ruler, and just align the opposite corners on the diagonal and square it up. Sometimes I can get by with only trimming 2 sides, sometimes I have to trim all 4.

I'll see if I can locate a video that shows me how
Thanks everyone