Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   questions and more questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/questions-more-questions-t50787.html)

mygirl66 06-22-2010 05:15 AM

The only rule I use is, 1/4 inch seam's. Do what works for you. If you see a pattern you like, just ask. You dont need to spend a years wages on a mach, if you like to piece by hand, thats good, but you could try Craigs List to look for a mach thats been broken in, and wont cost alot. I have a huge hoop, all my quilting is done by hand tho.The best thing you can do, is to try everything to see what you like, and what you dont. Happy quilting!

sharon b 06-22-2010 05:21 AM

Walking foot - A special foot for a sewing machine . Used for straight sewing m helps move the fabric sandwich evenly when being sewn.

Fabric sandwich- the backing, the batting and top of the quilt

Psychomomquilter 06-22-2010 05:26 AM

Alrighty! now I am getting on the RIGHT page here! and yes I plan to have fun with this!

Psychomomquilter 06-22-2010 05:28 AM

I also have a Brothers, vx-1120. hopefully I can find that walking foot to be able to use. thanks again for all the help.

clem55 06-22-2010 06:03 AM

Mary, WWW.about.com/quilting. Lots of free patterns and instructions and answers on this site. Or just do a search for free quilt patterns, and you will find lots of sites. Carol

raptureready 06-22-2010 06:07 AM

Mary, ask anything you want to. Ask for any pattern, method, or help you need. I sew by hand and machine. I have a Brother CE4000, an old New Home, a cheap Singer, a Featherweight, and a Viking plus many others that I don't use, just collect. Sew on whatever you want to sew on and whatever works for you. As far as the "new toy" if you want it and can afford it, get it but it's not a requirement.
BTW if you'd like the directions for the quilt in my avy, I've shared them on this board. Click SEARCH and type in Directions for Frames Quilt (my avy) and it should come up. You will find most people here are generous and sharing with their patterns, ideas, supplies, etc.

amandasgramma 06-22-2010 06:44 AM

Mary -- when I first joined the group, I had a Kenmore machine I bought in 1971!!! I'd never heard of Free Motion Quilting (FMQ), and a rotary cutter sounded like something from a scary movie!!!! Hang in here, feel free to ask questions. If you don't feel comfortable asking questions on someone's thread, ask like you did today or send someone a personal message. My experience here has shown me that they not only love to quilt....they love to teach!!!!

sueisallaboutquilts 06-22-2010 06:58 AM

Hi Mary, Welcome to the board!!! I guarantee you will get addicted to quilting- FAST hehehe
Have fun and ask questions! There is always so much to learn and many generous people here :D

bearisgray 06-22-2010 07:02 AM

People have made wonderful quilts with very little equipment.

Fabric
Scissors
Needle
Thread
Imagination

Jinny Beyer (a noted quilter and fabric designer) wrote that she did most of her piecing by hand.

Yes, I now do own a lot of "related stuff" - but much of it is not necessary.

Bottle Blonde 06-22-2010 07:03 AM

Mary --- You have received a lot of good advice already. I just wanted to add this --- a good way to try the different techniques is by starting with small projects. Maybe start by making pot holders or table toppers. Make one by machine piecing, then one by hand piecing, practice hand quilting vs. machine quilting, then experiment with the different binding techniques. If you don't lock yourself into a big project you will have more time to experiment and find what is right for you without investing a lot of time and money. Have fun!

p.s. I used to crochet and do other crafts.....I gave it all up for quilting! LOL