Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quicke question about cutting 8 3/8 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quicke-question-about-cutting-8-3-8-a-t219732.html)

quiltingfan 04-22-2013 08:45 AM

Quicke question about cutting 8 3/8

The instructions says cut to 8 3/8ths would be simpler to cut a 9 " block instead? Not quiet sure where the 3/8th is.

QuiltnNan 04-22-2013 09:14 AM

well, 8 1/2 would be the next higher number to cut the square. but, certainly, 9" would also work. i always cut mine a little bigger and square it up once sewn. i'm assuming it's for HSTs

grannie cheechee 04-22-2013 09:19 AM

3/8's is the line before the 1/2 line, but if you cut 9 in. you will just trim. Whatever is easier for you.

QuiltE 04-22-2013 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan (Post 6018963)
The instructions says cut to 8 3/8ths would be simpler to cut a 9 " block instead? Not quiet sure where the 3/8th is.

It really depends on what you are doing as to how critical the 8-3/8" would be vs. 9".

Taken out of context, no one can really advise you ... with any certainty of giving you valid info.

sewmary 04-22-2013 09:29 AM

Me who doesn't like to waste fabric would cut at 1/2. That is far easier to see on your ruler and cut to. After assembling the haf sqiare triangle you can trim that 1/8 inch differnce off,

quiltingfan 04-22-2013 09:34 AM

Thanks.. it is for my first ever mystery quilt. I am taking the class on Friday and I am so excited. !!!! yea... Don't want to mess up with the cutting I have to do at home.

quiltingfan 04-22-2013 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by grannie cheechee (Post 6019014)
3/8's is the line before the 1/2 line, but if you cut 9 in. you will just trim. Whatever is easier for you.

Ok well that explains it. I feel stupid for not realizing where the 3/8th line is.

bigsister63 04-22-2013 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan (Post 6019053)
Thanks.. it is for my first ever mystery quilt. I am taking the class on Friday and I am so excited. !!!! yea... Don't want to mess up with the cutting I have to do at home.

STOP!!!! If the instructions say 8 3/8 then that is the EXACT measurement you should cut!!! Since this is a mystery quilt you do not know how these pieces will be used so cut them exact!!!! I really hate it when instructions call for weird cuts!!

SueSew 04-22-2013 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 (Post 6019065)
STOP!!!! If the instructions say 8 3/8 then that is the EXACT measurement you should cut!!! Since this is a mystery quilt you do not know how these pieces will be used so cut them exact!!!! I really hate it when instructions call for weird cuts!!

8 3/8 is just another line on the ruler. It is no harder to cut 8 3/8 than 9 because you are just lining up your fabric to a different line on the ruler. Do not be afraid - your cut will be as accurate as always! Do not fear measuring to fractions. And remember, if you cut bigger, eventually you will have to cut it back to 8 3/8 so you are just giving yourself twice the work without improving the output.
GOOD LUCK! Most of all, have some fun with it!
Good luck!

QuiltE 04-22-2013 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew (Post 6019082)
8 3/8 is just another line on the ruler. It is no harder to cut 8 3/8 than 9 because you are just lining up your fabric to a different line on the ruler. Do not be afraid - your cut will be as accurate as always! Do not fear measuring to fractions. And remember, if you cut bigger, eventually you will have to cut it back to 8 3/8 so you are just giving yourself twice the work without improving the output.
GOOD LUCK! Most of all, have some fun with it!
Good luck!

........... add the fact that it's harder to trim 1/8" off and maintain accuracy, than to cut 8-3/8" precisely in the first place.

QuiltingFan ... if you have any concerns you'd be best to speak with the Leader for your Mystery, as s/he will know what's coming, and what changes would be "safe". Here we are only guessing ... and the best guess from our end is to stick with the directions given.

Mysteries are fun to do ... and even more so, when you are doing it with a group, as you will be on Friday. Enjoy the experience!