Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The Quietest Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quietest-sewing-machine-t181355.html)

Putz 03-02-2012 06:44 AM

The Quietest Sewing Machine

Good Morning,
I am often awake much later in the evening than my hubby. However, the three sewing machines I have are noisy enough that the noise keeps hubby awake.

I'm thinking of purchasing a new "Quiet" sewing machine, but have no idea where to begin. Could you please give me your "quiet" rating on your sewing machines? I don't want to spend a fortune - leaving my fortune for the Local Quilt Shops.

Thanks in advance for your input.

MaryLane 03-02-2012 06:57 AM

I have several machines and the quietest one is my vintage Singer 301. I think my Janome 6600 is awfully loud but my aunt that uses a much smaller Janome thinks mine is very quiet. I think the smaller, cheaper machines are louder. But, my vintage machines are definitely quieter. If you want really quiet get a treadle!

heljoy50 03-02-2012 06:58 AM

I have found that the Singer Featherweights are really quiet, they just purr along! I love mine and hardly use the noisy modern plastic machines now.

LynnVT 03-02-2012 07:13 AM

When I was looking for a new machine several years ago, hubby and I tested several. He liked the Janome 9000 best because we could watch TV together while I sewed and we could hear the movie over the machine. I think Janome in general makes a quiet machine, but maybe not all of them. I had other reasons for choosing this one, but we were in agreement.

ontheriver 03-02-2012 07:20 AM

My vintage singer 201 is my quietest machine, purrs along nicely.

irishrose 03-02-2012 07:23 AM

My 1973 Elna is super quiet. I think the Universal from the 50s will be, too. The Singer 301 has some noise, but it's not irritating.

quiltyfeelings 03-02-2012 07:24 AM

Definitely my '48 singer featherweight. My computerized brother innova NX400 is quiet, but not as quiet as my featherweight!

redmadder 03-02-2012 07:36 AM

My 1941 Singer 15 is so quiet, hubby can sleep all morning. Oh well, everything has its disadvantage.

Candace 03-02-2012 07:52 AM

All of my vintage machines tend to be actually louder than my newer plastic machines. The most quiet machine I own is either my Janome 9000 or my vintage Elna 62C. The Elna 62C can be bought for less than $100 if you look around and is a great, lightweight machine and very quiet.

IAmCatOwned 03-02-2012 07:53 AM

First of all, have you checked that your machines are well oiled? My sister's was much, much quieter when I got her to oil it. Second, instead of buying a new machine, consider getting a 'white noise' generator for your husband. Until I moved my sewing room downstairs, I sewed in the room next to my parents since I had to be upstairs during the day to look after my Dad. My mom is a very light sleeper and the machine never bothered her once I got her a nature sounds generator. Here's a cheap one. This is the one I bought, but I don't recommend it because a lot of people apparently are unable to figure out how to use it (I bought it for parents 8 years ago).