Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilt for 13 yr old girl (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-13-yr-old-girl-t304745.html)

tulip43 05-16-2019 06:15 AM

quilt for 13 yr old girl

would like ideas on a pattern and what colors for a 13 yr old girl. This quilt is for a donation to Habitat . Any ideas on colors?

Iceblossom 05-16-2019 06:25 AM

There are all sorts of 13 year olds. My next project is going to be a glorious riot of bright colors that I consider "too loud to sleep under, it is also a donation project and I sort of see a 8-14 year old girl as the recipient, but there are all sorts of 8-14 year old boys too.

Make something that is fun for you to do and someone will love it.

toverly 05-16-2019 06:37 AM

Iceblossom is right. Make something that you love and it will probably be loved too. 13 year olds are temperamental creatures. She could be 13 and still playing with dolls or 13 going on 30. No way to tell.

bkay 05-16-2019 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made a quilt a while back that I think would be perfect for a 13 year old girl. It went to a middle aged woman, however. It was bright colored with lots of pink, green, turquoise, etc. It was very cheerful. You don't know if she's a girly girl or not and bright colors always please. (I think I painted my room purple about that time in my life.)

bkay[ATTACH=CONFIG]612932[/ATTACH]

Peckish 05-16-2019 08:09 AM

Beautiful quilt, bkay!

I agree with the others, there's no way to know what's in the mind of a 13 year old girl. I have friends with daughters about that age, one is a very girly-girl, all pink and flowers. One girl's favorite color is black. One loves everything camo.

The best that you can do is make something from your heart.

sewbizgirl 05-16-2019 08:11 AM

Since you don't know the recipient, I would think anything bright and fun would work. Nothing too childish, tho.

Jordan 05-16-2019 12:02 PM

Beautiful quilt "bkay". Love the bright colors. What pattern is that?? I have 3 granddaughters living with me and 2 are teenagers (13 yo and 15 yo). They are completely different personalities and their likes are so different. I think anything you make will be greatly appreciated by the recipient.

Queenbarbiej 05-16-2019 12:14 PM

Jordan it looks like a disappearing 9 patch.

QuiltE 05-16-2019 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by tulip43 (Post 8253840)
would like ideas on a pattern and what colors for a 13 yr old girl. This quilt is for a donation to Habitat . Any ideas on colors?

As already, said, there is no generic rules for a 13yo girl!
Just the same as for each of us as quilters ... we all have different likes, and hates!

Being that you know this is a 13yo girl, I am thinking that this is for a specific Habitat Build.
That means the family is known to the HH organizers.

The organizers should be able to speak with the family and ask a little bit more re colours and style to guide you. It would be helpful to at least know if this a girly-girl or a tom-boy! Surely they would understand and be more than happy to help.

Jordan 05-16-2019 04:41 PM

That is what I kind of thought-that it was a disappearing 9 patch. Thx Queenbarbiej.