Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Alongs and Mystery Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-alongs-mystery-quilts-t198488.html)

Jo C 08-23-2012 07:07 PM

Quilt Alongs and Mystery Quilts

I've only been quilting seriously since January. Self taught so i theres still tons to learn. The best learning experiences have been quilt alongs and mystery quilts. Theres no pressure, you have a week or even a month to do each block or step. The facitators are happy to answer questions and help you out. I can't recommend them enough to a new quilter. I'm doing 6 of them now rangibg from simple HST blocks, to traditional pieced blocks to paper pieced Civil War blocks. I think the enjoyment of working along with others instead of figuring it out from a book is the motivator. I would have never thought i could paper piece, but i'm learning! Next wek is the last clue on a mystery quilt and i'm finnally starting to see what it's gonna look like! And if you make mistakes, so what, nobody knows but you.
There are lots of quilt alongs or mystery quilts out there and the clues are posted right n the web site or blog. No signing up and commitment....just fun. In September i'm starting a new one...Burgoynne Surrounded...can't wait to learn new skills andend up with a quilt to boot. So come on...lets quilt along!

NJ Quilter 08-24-2012 03:30 AM

I couldn't agree more with your assessment. I, like you, am a self-taught quilter although have sewn for decades. Have been quilting now for about 10-15 years. I still like to do the BOM that my LQS hosts each year. It's a cheap way to end up with a quilt and it's great for learning new skillsets. I think these are great methods for new quilters to learn new skills and for longer-time quilters to hone skills. Glad you're enjoying the process.

kristakz 08-24-2012 04:18 AM

Love to do block of the month programs or quilt-alongs when I need inspiration for my quilting. It gives me a reason to keep going into the sewing room, and helps get the juices flowing to start my own next project. Mystery quilts don't work out so well for me, although I've done a few. Usually, i love the design in the end, but hate my colour choice or palcement - so I've learned that I'd rather know what it will look like in advance.

BKrenning 08-24-2012 06:23 AM

I am also self taught. I honed my skills by signing up for block swaps on several yahoo groups that I was a member of and I made my own star sampler using blocks I liked on Quilter's Cache. I learn better at my own pace and without the distraction of others so classes weren't something I was interested in. I loved Simply Quilts and watched every episode when I started with this hobby/obsession 7 years ago. Like Krista, mysteries don't interest me until I see the end result. I am also a bit of a control freak and rarely stick to directions. The Quilt Police would need a really good therapist if they ventured into my sewing room--LOL.

quiltsRfun 08-24-2012 06:24 AM

I've never done either. Might have to reconsider and give it a try.

LadyElisabeth 08-24-2012 11:48 AM

I started a quilting challenge when we started out quilting TV program. Participants all get the same fabric and then get to decide for themselves what they want to make. Some of them are on the web site. We are starting a new series that will begin to air in October. I'm now looking for ideas for the 2013 Spring series.

urgodschild2 08-24-2012 12:23 PM

My quilt teacher is starting the Burgoynne surround in Sept and it is a quilt along. She posts all her instructions on line on her web site. (lynbrown.com)

Jo C 08-24-2012 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by urgodschild2 (Post 5464858)
My quilt teacher is starting the Burgoynne surround in Sept and it is a quilt along. She posts all her instructions on line on her web site. (lynbrown.com)

Yep, that,s the one i'm going to do. I'm doing her Sunset and Vine right now.

Rose Marie 08-25-2012 07:14 AM

Im self taught also by watching videos on the web.
The best teacher is Eleanor Burns. She has lots of her videos on her website, quiltinaday.
Also lots of videos on quilterstv .
All free.
QNNTV used to be free and watched alot of videos there. They now charge over 20 dollars a year.