Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A quilt by any other name ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-any-other-name-t166457.html)

QuiltedCritterLady 11-05-2011 11:23 PM

A quilt by any other name ...

New quilter here ... I need to come up with names for my Christmas quilts and I would love to hear how the rest of you come up with names. Two of them were easy because I used fun fabric on the back to personalize them, but the other two have me stumped.

Jim 11-05-2011 11:35 PM

Hows the quilt make you feel? Or what focal in the quilt do you want to bring out just by calling it that name? Anything you want to make a person feel by snuggling up with it. Any number of reasons... can be named after a person or who its for...no rhyme or reason for our madness...lol

sewbeadit 11-06-2011 12:10 AM

I really never knew that we were supposed to name them:o I had enough trouble naming my children and my dogs, sorry I can't help.

deemail 11-06-2011 12:26 AM

in Pictures, by me, at 6:43 pm ...it's Nine Ring Circus...see if you can tell why... i usually just get inspired because it reminds me of something or the fabrics or colors.... the other quilt at 8:43 pm is the Brown Round Robin...just because it is... i find it fun to play with...

BKrenning 11-06-2011 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit (Post 4639619)
I really never knew that we were supposed to name them:o I had enough trouble naming my children and my dogs, sorry I can't help.

Ditto for me. Mine are named--Summer's Baby Quilt 1 & 2, Summer's 1st big quilt, Johnny's baby quilt, Johnny's big boy quilt, Adalyn's baby quilt, Caitrin's 1st quilt, William's quilt, etc. Very easy for me to remember them--LOL.

ShirlinAZ 11-06-2011 08:08 AM

My quilts tend to name themselves. I have "Tsunami" named during the Japanese tsunami this year. "Tyler's Dino Patch" is a dinosaur patchwork that I made for DGS Tyler. "Riflessi d'Italia" is a Reflection pattern made in an Italian print for my 1/2 Italian sis-in-law. "Gilded Wings" is a Japanese crane print with gold metallic. Usually before I finish a quilt some thought has gone through my head enough to inspire the name.

QuiltedCritterLady 11-06-2011 11:50 AM

I sure wish my quilts named themselves! :) Maybe I am over-thinking the names. I do that with the quilts too. I am always second-guessing myself. Does that go away with more experience?

TanyaL 11-06-2011 12:09 PM

Unless you are going to patent the design why are you naming the quilt? If you are trying to remember the quilt and need to label the picture then "John's quilt summer of 2011" or something similar works.

LivelyLady 11-06-2011 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit (Post 4639619)

LOL!!! That's me too!

quilttiludrop 11-06-2011 01:06 PM

I use a name that is self-description such as the one I made for myself that had dark blue starry fabric in a starry pattern, I called "Starry Night". Don't make it hard on yourself. I quilted a kids quilt recently that had train cars across it, it could be called "Choo-Choo" quilt.