Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Backing...am I the only one? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-backing-am-i-only-one-t131550.html)

MissBarbQuilts 06-18-2011 10:09 PM

Until I joined this board I had never seen quilts with pieced backings. Am I the only one who prefers a single-fabric backing?

BrendaK 06-18-2011 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by MissBarbQuilts
Until I joined this board I had never seen quilts with pieced backings. Am I the only one who prefers a single-fabric backing?

I also do mainly single backing. It just seems easier to me. But.........I think that I will try pieced backing sometime. BrendaK

mzsooz 06-18-2011 10:26 PM

I prefer the single-fabric backings. My theory is that some people are so addicted that they just can't stop quilting and this way they get to quilt twice as much! :lol: :lol:

RST 06-18-2011 10:30 PM

I like pieced backings, mostly because I like to use up the extra blocks and strips and chunks of fabrics which didn't make it to the front of the quilt. And because it's interesting and fun to have a secondary design.

On occasion, I've ended up liking the pieced back better than the front.

I do know that many non-quilters really dislike pieced backs. I just did the quilting on a collaborative project and the woman who we were making it for was very adamant that she didn't like "those weird and cheap" backs that are all pieced together. She was willing to pay $50 just for backing fabric that wouldn't need any piecing at all. Shrug. Her money, her choice.

RST
RST

Ramona Byrd 06-18-2011 10:50 PM

I don't DISlike them, it's just that by the time I get to that point, I'm pretty tired of the whole thing for a while. Love it later though,
and don't want to get rid of it.
Have a grand daughter who is due 3 more days, don't know if it is a boy or girl yet. They aren't talking!!

jmabby 06-18-2011 11:31 PM

I usually go with one color or piece for backing, but have used 2 1/2 x 10 or 11 inch strips in the back using the same fabric as the front. Example: Log Cabin in the front and strips of the same fabric on the back, just to change things and make it reversible.

CoventryUK 06-18-2011 11:49 PM

I usually back my quilts with wide calico, but occasionally I will use pieced blocks/strips to extend backing.

kathdavis 06-18-2011 11:52 PM

I have been quilting for two years now, and I always piece the back of my quilts because I still have so much to learn and so many patterns I want to try that I hate to buy the fabric and not learn from it. So my quilts are usually two for one. It is funny because sometimes I or others in the house prefer the back side to the front when it is finished.

quilterella 06-19-2011 01:07 AM

I would prefer a single-piece backing, but, until I have used up my stash, I will continue to piece my backs. Plus, I love the challenge of using different fabrics in the backing.

ckcowl 06-19-2011 01:37 AM

it depends on the quilt- i use whole piece backs for a majority of them but sometimes the quilt just (needs) a peiced back- i think both ways works fine, looks fine, and i let the quilt decide what kind of backing would be best.