Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-backing-t126226.html)

CharlottsQuilts 05-28-2011 04:38 AM

Hi, I was wondering about the seam in the backing material. Do you center the seam on the back of the quilt or not?

eastermarie 05-28-2011 04:42 AM

I like it centered. If I quilt it on my longarm machine, the seam has to run crosswise.

quilticing 05-28-2011 04:56 AM

I like it off-center. Bigger piece of leftover backing to piece with other fabric, binding, etc.

QuiltnNan 05-28-2011 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by quilticing
I like it off-center. Bigger piece of leftover backing to piece with other fabric, binding, etc.

i like this suggestion :)

Tartan 05-28-2011 06:08 AM

I go with what will annoys me the least. I sometimes buy the 108 backing just so I don't have a seam. If I decide to piece a back, I usually put the seam crosswise. It really bugs me if the seam is lengthwise and it isn't perfectly straight. If you decide to put it up the middle lengthwise, try to center the quilt top with pins and basting before quilting. I do like the backings that are pieced with lots of pieces and leftover blocks because it makes the quilt reversable. Backing construction is a personal choice, there are no right or wrong ways unless it is being judged for competition. Some competitions have rules about backing construction (quilt police). :-D

sweetpea 05-28-2011 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by eastermarie
I like it centered. If I quilt it on my longarm machine, the seam has to run crosswise.

:?: :?: :?: why dose it have to be crosswise?

gunny148 05-28-2011 06:11 AM

One piece for me, i have split it into three pieces.

quiltingaz 05-28-2011 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by sweetpea

:?: :?: :?: why dose it have to be crosswise?

With a lengthwise seam, you will get a bulky roll at seam because of extra fabric. It can distort the quilt.

kathy 05-28-2011 06:21 AM

i'm wondering why, i've never heard of that, and i longarm
too
if i only need less than 15" i do the jogn flynn diagonal seam and it works great

lllog 05-28-2011 06:27 AM

I suggest going with 108" fabric, that way there is no seam. A yard of 108" equals about 2 1/2 yds of 44". Sometimes it is cheaper to go with the 108" because its less expensive than the amount of 44" fabric you would need.

Say you're doing a king size that is 100 by 115. That would be 2 3/4 yds of fabric at say $15 yd, costing aprox $43. With 44" you would need three 44" pieces of 2 3/4 yds to cover it. or at $10 yd costing around $82.

We have quilters who buy the 108" and cut some off the use on the front, thereby tying the front and back together.

Backing is not just muslin any more either, it comes in many colors and shades.

Lanny