Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Backings (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-backings-t85640.html)

1barron 12-27-2010 09:03 PM

I usually use 108 or 120 inch. Recently I read about using up some of your stash that you want gone. Let's face it, sometime a piece of fabric stays aroud forever. The cautions about using your stash for this is 1 be careful of the color that you put one the back. If you have white and put black on the back it may show through. Also, use the least amount of seams as possible. Lots of seams equals harder time quilting.

JulieM 12-28-2010 04:13 AM

I purchased Moda, Roman Holiday, red tone on tone, 108" wide, it is still sitting in my closet. I find that it is hard to match the wide fabrics to the quilt tops I have made.
JulieM

sandyo 12-28-2010 04:22 AM

I use sheets all the time. The only reason I heard not to is it is hard to hand quilt with the high thread count.

117becca 12-28-2010 04:24 AM

i've used both - pieced 45 width and used the 108 wide. It depends for me what is cheaper. I'm going to have to google the John Flynn thing....

I'm getting ready to make a quilt for my mom - and i am putting some pretty tone on tone on the back. I wanted to put a blue on the back, but couldn't find the right shade....

117becca 12-28-2010 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by sandyo
I use sheets all the time. The only reason I heard not to is it is hard to hand quilt with the high thread count.

If you go to walmart, they have lower count sheets - It's been a while, but i've seen 180 or 200 count....I use them to line curtains when i make them

gypsyquilter 12-28-2010 04:31 AM

My backing is usually 45" fabric, many times I'll just use what I have and then add some blocks to it if I am short, it adds a nice secondary look to a quilt. I use the 108" when iv'e done a king size, just as it is cheaper.

also, for my backing, when the local quilt shops have their end of year sales I usually buy the fabric on the clearance rack for backing. nothing like $4.5 a yard for top notch fabric.

eparys 12-28-2010 04:34 AM

I have never used a sheet. I have done both the others however. I pick up 108" backing when I see it on sale if I can and will pick up several yards of neutral 45" fabric on sale as well just for these purposes.

Holice 12-28-2010 04:50 AM

John Flynn's instructions for diagonal pieced back is at

www.flynnquilt.com

Go to John's Workshop, then Free lessons and then scroll down for Diagonal Pieced Back

It took me awhile to understand the math but when I did, it is very easy.

michelehuston 12-28-2010 05:05 AM

Making the giant log cabin for a backing truely a wonderful idea! I sometimes just go blank and lose creativity when it comes to the backing!! that will definately be an idea to keep close !!

ameriguat 12-28-2010 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by suezquilts
$9 plus a yard?

?????? REALLY!?!?! I must not complain then. At Mary Jos' in Gastonia, NC her average price for 45" cotton is $6.29 which is high compared to last year when it was $5.49