Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt basting spray... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-basting-spray-t115910.html)

sewnserge 04-13-2011 03:48 PM

Hi everyone -- I've been lurking around for a few months, LOVE the info here! You are all so wonderful to share!
Now then, basting spray...
I was shopping online for 505, and was unpleasantly surprised :roll: at how much it cost. Did a couple of Google searches, and was sent to a garden message board -- one of the gals there swears by AQUA NET hair spray!! (in High School it was the one to use!!) She said that the ingredients were almost identical to the 505 spray.. Has anyone tried Aqua Net? What do you think?
Thanks, in advance!! :-)

cjomomma 04-13-2011 03:54 PM

I am tempted to try that. After all hair spray sticks to everything.

barb55 04-13-2011 03:59 PM

I want to keep up with and see what other say. I don't have any auqua net or I would try on a small peace of fabric.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 04-13-2011 04:00 PM

Here is a link to an earlier conversation about this.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-19310-1.htm

Rose L 04-13-2011 04:01 PM

There are other brands that are less expensive, an alternative. I just bought a 13 oz. can of Sullivans "The Original" Quilt Basting spray. A much larger spray can than the 505 and several dollars less in cost. You should be able to find it in a Google search. I've never tried the hairspray.

Lori S 04-13-2011 04:12 PM

I have had good luck with the Prim/Dritz ( no odor , can be used indoors)at JoAnn's using the coupon it a better deal. I still pin around the edges so it does not lift at all during the quilting and draging that happens when working on it.

Prism99 04-13-2011 04:15 PM

Aqua Net is highly flammable, but I think basting spray is too.

My biggest concerns about using it as (1) does it stain fabric? and (2) does it gum up the needle?

Also, as with basting spray, it should be used only in a well-ventilated area and should not be breathed in.......

barb55 04-13-2011 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L
There are other brands that are less expensive, an alternative. I just bought a 13 oz. can of Sullivans "The Original" Quilt Basting spray. A much larger spray can than the 505 and several dollars less in cost. You should be able to find it in a Google search. I've never tried the hairspray.

I don't like Sullivans, I bought that and got some on the floor and had to use 401 spray to get it off. It wouldn't dissolve with water. I had some on my hands and had to use the oil to get it off,

MTS 04-13-2011 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by barb55
I don't like Sullivans, I bought that and got some on the floor and had to use 401 spray to get it off. It wouldn't dissolve with water. I had some on my hands and had to use the oil to get it off,

When I used Sullivans for the first (and only) time - also first time spray basting - I actually felt my brain cells dying as I was working with it. :roll:
Never again. Not even with a coupon.

That said, the Dritz spray is available at Joann's and is couponable. ;-) And I was very satisfied with how it worked.
I was glad they started selling it as the 505 meant a special trip to a LQS.

Kitsie 04-13-2011 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by sewnserge
Hi everyone -- I've been lurking around for a few months, LOVE the info here! You are all so wonderful to share!
Now then, basting spray...
I was shopping online for 505, and was unpleasantly surprised :roll: at how much it cost. Did a couple of Google searches, and was sent to a garden message board -- one of the gals there swears by AQUA NET hair spray!! (in High School it was the one to use!!) She said that the ingredients were almost identical to the 505 spray.. Has anyone tried Aqua Net? What do you think?
Thanks, in advance!! :-)

That's what my GDs used to spray on the inside of their cowboy hats to hold them on when they showed their horses! Worked for them, might work for us!