Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Basting spray (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-basting-spray-t285280.html)

cinson7 01-16-2017 08:47 AM

Quilt Basting spray

My last fair I showed at the judge suggested that I use basting spray I have tried using them but I can't get my quilt to lay flat does anyone have any ideas to help me Or maybe tell me what I am doing wrong

Onebyone 01-16-2017 09:08 AM

I don't exactly know what you mean by quilt laying flat. I want smoothness on top and front. When I use basting spray I smooth the quilt back on top of the batting, then turn it over and smooth the quilt top on the batting. I have one of the longer Slide Lock rulers and it's great to smooth the quilt. Works so much better then my hand. A Gripper on a long wide ruler would work too. If I find a wrinkle I pull the layer off up to the wrinkle and restick it.

cinson7 01-16-2017 09:42 AM

Maybe a better way to explain is when I tried to use the basting spray my backing before my next level I sprayed it and Then when trying to put my next level it stuck together before I wanted them to is there a way to help hold the bottom I always try to make sure the back layer is wrinkle free Sorry for the way I a trying to explain this

Tartan 01-16-2017 09:54 AM

I like to clip my top to a table, lay the batt on top and smooth it out. I then fold back half, spray and smooth it back down and do the same to the second half. I then smooth the backing over the batt, fold back half, spray and smooth it down and do the other half. The reason I do the back last is so I can make sure there are no wrinkles.
I haven't used basting spray since I discovered the Elmer's washable glue technique but I am still trying to perfect that.

Peckish 01-16-2017 10:02 AM

Tartan basically uses the same technique I use. I usually lay mine on the floor. I lay the back down, pin it right to the carpet and pad, then lay the batting down. I roll or fold the batting up halfway, start spraying in the middle and ONLY the middle, then carefully pull the batting taut over the sprayed area and lay it down flat. Press it with my hands so it sticks, then pull the batting back to where I stopped spraying and spray a new area. Shower, rinse, repeat.

nativetexan 01-16-2017 10:06 AM

i lay my quilt backing on a table (folding one set outside usually), then smooth the batting. then lay the quilt top an smooth. make sure more batting and backing showing all around. the i have a flat board i lay on the top edge and start folding the fabric over the board, flipping it as i go. do that until i can't reach across the table and i spray, then start flipping the board back toward me until the top is off. smooth the top if need be. then move the the quilt over and do the ends and then move again to get the other edge or side. Then flip the whole thing over and do the backing just the same way. unflip the board and smooth. if i will handle the quilt a lot while quilting i pin the edges through all layers.

quiltingcandy 01-16-2017 10:09 AM

Is there any chance that you can recruit someone to help you? For me it works best if I have someone on the other side to help hold the quilt up while laying it over the sprayed batting. I still do it in sections, but it is still a lot easier to have someone else help.

Patricia Drew 01-16-2017 05:14 PM

I highly recommend you look up the Sharon Schamber "board" method. She uses her method to hand-baste her sandwich, but I use the same method to spray baste. It works really well. With a little practice you can sandwich your quilt in no time with everything nice and smooth. If it's a really large project, I then machine baste with water soluble thread. Really stabilizes everything!

117becca 01-17-2017 02:21 AM

i 2nd the Sharon Schamber method of sandwiching quilts. I hand baste quilts, then hand-quilt my quilts

celwood 01-18-2017 06:00 AM

This is a quilt that shows you how to baste a large quilt on an ironing board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPedPf4hdVY