Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Blocks and their Names (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-blocks-their-names-t73137.html)

Rhonda 10-29-2010 11:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I thought it would be good to post quilt blocks with their name for anyone who is looking for inspiration or for beginners who are trying to find a block to start out with.

Please add as many quilt blocks as you like but remember to respect copyrights if you are using an online site for info. There are hundreds of public domain quilt blocks or quilt blocks that have been around for years and are not original to anyone today.

Please give the name or names that you know of.

I will be happy to help anyone with directions on how I make the ones I post if you need anything. Just pm me and let me know. Otherwise contact the person who posted the Quilt Block you like and maybe they can help you find directions.

This is not weekly or monthly but I put this here as it is all about Blocks.

i will continue to add to it but I hope you all will add to it too! Have fun!

Bear's Paw
[ATTACH=CONFIG]113220[/ATTACH]

Friendship Star
[ATTACH=CONFIG]113221[/ATTACH]

bearisgray 10-30-2010 05:01 AM

According to Barbara Brackman, some blocks have many names - and some names have several blocks associated with them.

It can be confusing!

wolfkitty 10-30-2010 05:07 AM

How about some frequent fliers, like disappearing nine patch (D9P) or turning twenty?

SeamsLikeIt 10-30-2010 05:07 AM

Quilt blocks, and their names can be very confusing. I have found many people call different blocks by different names, so I have to find a pictures of what I am trying to make, that seems to really help. This will be awesome to have pictures of blocks and their names together. Great idea, Thanks! :)

Rhonda 10-30-2010 06:25 AM

It isn't necessary to have all the names associated with the blocks as this is intended as inspiration rather than a source of information. If you want to put a block on that you don't know the name of that is ok too. I am not really good at putting names and blocks together. So the names are not that important here. The pictures are the focus here for me. If you want to include a link to directions for making the block please feel free!

theresse 10-30-2010 06:07 PM

Rhonda I notice that your two blks have fewer peices, or larger patches than I am acustum sp?? to seeing and using. I forgot what I was trying to get at. I don't guess it maters, they still end up beautiful blocks. Theresse

Rhonda 10-30-2010 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by theresse
Rhonda I notice that your two blks have fewer peices, or larger patches than I am acustum sp?? to seeing and using. I forgot what I was trying to get at. I don't guess it maters, they still end up beautiful blocks. Theresse

I don't think they are any differant than the usual quilt blocks Theresse. These are EQ pics so maybe that makes them look funny to you. In fact the paws on the Bear's Paw I can only show by using 4 squares in place of the one I would use in reality. There are 4 HSTs and one large patch for the paw and one small patch for the corner of that paw. then the center strips are just like sashing strips with a cornerstone center..

The Friendship is just 4 HSTs and 4 plain squares with one dark plain square in the middle. Pretty basic stuff. Do you see the construction now? I stuck with familiar blocks to start this thread off. I hope others will add to it!

Edit: I went back and looked at the Friendship star. I see what you mean I think. When you remove the block lines on the program it lets the fabric blend together so it looks blended. You are just not seeing the division between the blocks. That is what makes it look like less pieces.