Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Box vs Secret Santa boxes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-box-vs-secret-santa-boxes-t278758.html)

ekbuckeye 05-19-2016 06:41 AM

I have to agree with those who think the boxes from retailers are too expensive. I always enjoy the stocking swaps on another forum where we have a $$ limit and get to provide our likes/dislikes such as colors, scents, yummies, etc., and anything I couldn't use would be passed on to the raffle table at guild.

Lafpeaches 05-19-2016 07:02 AM

I follow some quilting youtube sites and blogs. Some show off their new quilty boxes. I wonder if they get their boxes free for showing it and maybe a fee for the advertising. I can appreciate modern quilts but am not interested in making one. The boxes that I have seen tend to be in that genre. I did see an link on FB for a monthly box for dogs.

annette1952 05-19-2016 08:00 AM

If I have $25.00 to $50.00 a month left over for my quilting I buy something I need for the project I'm working on. Also with the Quilty boxes is they sometimes include a ruler or something like that & you already have it. It would be a waste of money to have 2 of the same rulers that you only occasionally use. On the other hand if I didn't have to worry about the cost then I would probably do it. I like surprises & it gives you something to look forward to every month. It just boils down to what you can afford.

Judylee2 05-20-2016 02:39 AM

I love Secret Santa! it is much more fun and personal. I have a box set aside already for our 2016 festivities. All year long when I make goodies, I make an extra one to put in the box. If I find that I have duplicate rulers...in the box. I use a ruler that I will NEVER use again...in the box, If I write a pattern that turned out really nice...yup...in the box!

lovelyl 05-20-2016 03:37 AM

I've never participated in the Secret Santa swap here on the board. Maybe I will try it this year! I love to pick out things for others!

Z Any Mouse 05-20-2016 11:28 AM

I decided to try Quilty Box for one month, just to see. Well, seven months later, I am still hooked. There was only one box that was not my jam, but the rest have been fun and fabulous. Occasionally I do get something I already have, such as a book or ruler, and I just donate those to my guild when it is my turn to bring in a raffle item. Since I love Quilty Box so much, I tried out the Fat Quarter Shop box and was delighted. I might be addicted...

Pagzz 05-27-2016 09:26 PM

Thanks for this discussion. At first I thought I wouldn't like it but now I have decided to try The Quilter's Stash box. I have just ordered the try me box.

I agree that we can spend the money on other things, but I am also in the camp that feels anything I don't need or care for can be donated as guild door prizes.

I watched some youtube videos of people opening their boxes before I made my decision.

One other reason - I don't get gifts from people. I usually buy anything I want. My siblings and I all do, so I seldom receive gifts. I think it will be fun. It will be a surprise gift to myself.

ibex94 06-08-2016 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Z Any Mouse (Post 7554823)
I decided to try Quilty Box for one month, just to see. Well, seven months later, I am still hooked. There was only one box that was not my jam, but the rest have been fun and fabulous. Occasionally I do get something I already have, such as a book or ruler, and I just donate those to my guild when it is my turn to bring in a raffle item. Since I love Quilty Box so much, I tried out the Fat Quarter Shop box and was delighted. I might be addicted...

Here's another surprise box that I have found.... http://www.thethriftyneedle.com/view...adminPreview=1

I am going to have to check out those youtube videos, Pagzz. I am glad to hear that folks are finding them fun, too. I suspect I am going to have to pick one and try it. Money is a tight commodity around here so I will wait until one of my current quilting projects doesn't need something, as Annette mentioned.

Tothill 06-08-2016 08:02 PM

I have a friend who gets a dog treat box each month, I think it is called Bark Box. My dog only likes mini tennis balls for toys, so it would be a waste of money for me.

I like the idea of subscribing to a quilting surprise box. I live alone and do not get gifts from anyone. Yes, I can buy what I need, but a surprise would be nice too. I just bought a new to me HQ Sixteen, so my gift budget for myself is spent for the next couple years.

Geri B 06-09-2016 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by ibex94 (Post 7572254)
Here's another surprise box that I have found.... http://www.thethriftyneedle.com/view...adminPreview=1

I am going to have to check out those youtube videos, Pagzz. I am glad to hear that folks are finding them fun, too. I suspect I am going to have to pick one and try it. Money is a tight commodity around here so I will wait until one of my current quilting projects doesn't need something, as Annette mentioned.

I just clicked on that site.....???? Doesn't say size of fabric piece...could be as small as a swatch or as big as a f/q....and other useful sewing supplies...hmm, could be a needle, spool of thread, and a "Quilty" pattern? For $43.00, I want a clearer explanation of contents....sorry, I don't do Pandora boxes......