Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   This quilt broke my heart! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-broke-my-heart-t207858.html)

JanieH 12-09-2012 03:30 PM

We often joke something would make a movie of the week but the stories of these two quilts would be so powerful and moving for anyone to watch.

The love and caring in each quilt we make is so meaningful - I wish stories like these could be shared with everyone!

wordpaintervs 12-09-2012 03:58 PM

I can't even begin to imagine what all that had to be like for you. All the joy and then the pain of the blanket. That lady will never ever forget what you did for her. Are you an angel??? I think perhaps you are.

Vickey S.

Greeter Eva 12-09-2012 08:17 PM

I agree with everyone here, that was very touching what you did. I think you should send that story to Jennifer Chiaverinni.

SewMomma66 12-09-2012 09:30 PM

That is very sweet! Thanks for sharing.

My time 12-10-2012 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cagey (Post 5704351)
A few months ago a woman in our community asked me to make a quilt from her grown children's baby cloths. She wanted to give it to her mother for Christmas. So I've been working every free moment on this quilt to get it done for her by Christmas. It was very difficult for me to cut up these beautiful dresses and little suits but I did it. Used embellishments on it - buttons and lace from the dresses and suits. I got the top done and was waiting for the backing fabric that she wanted to pick out. She brought the fabric and another baby blanket she wanted me to add to the quilt. When I told her the top was done she broke down and said it was from her first son that passed away 22 years ago and she has slept with that blanket under her pillow. She said it was very important to add this to the quilt so I told her I would make a separate block on the back. Getting up the nerve to cut that blanket was hard - emotionally. I reinforced the cutting edge and zigzagged so the rest of the blanket wouldn't unravel. Never knew making the quilt was going to be so emotional.

Yes it really is emotional isn't it. I did the same thing with my best friends clothes? She died suddenly of an pulmonary embolism. It broke our hearts because she was such a wonderful person. I made a quilt for her daughter from her moms clothes. Cutting up all her clothes that I remember her wearing and that smelled like her perfume, almost did me in. But it helped me work though my grief. It's not something I think I could ever do again. To which my husband would say .....sure. So I think I have a good idea what you went. I sure hope you post the finish quilt.

qltrwannab 12-11-2012 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 (Post 5704365)
What a wonderful Holiday story. It sounds like you but a lot of love into this quilt and I am sure that the people involved really appreciate all you work. All this is good karma for you! Bless you!!!

DITTO !! What a wonderful friend you are !

Rosebird 01-17-2013 12:48 PM

There's always story and/or history in every Quilt, all quilt are made different, I give you all the credit for doing this tedious
job, i hope she appreciate every bit of it. God Bless you, I would love to see this.