Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Buddies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-buddies-t171462.html)

evelyn5269 12-09-2011 07:20 AM

Quilt Buddies

Is there anyone in the Sequim WA area that quilts? I am so learning on my own and can really mess the backing up something terrible. Just built a pvc frame which is fabulous but still not doing things right. Cant get the corners right. Sure would like a live person to spend some time with versus books. Pictures are great but you can't talk to them. Port Angeles and even Poulsbo WA would be ok I just could not go there very often but sure need people help.

Thanks,
Evelyn in Sequim

Mad Mimm 12-09-2011 07:26 AM

Sorry Evelyn, I am all the way down in Vancouver WA. Sure hope you find someone local to quilt with. A buddy really helps. Have you checked any local quilt shops to see if they have any UFO sewing times? My local shops all have time slots where you can bring unfinished projects and work on them in a social setting - great way to meet local quilters. Good luck!

grannyp70 12-09-2011 08:53 AM

Hi Evelyn, sure wish that I lived close to you, I don't have a quilting buddy close to me either. I do have a wonderful friend that talk to on the phone everyday and we tell each other what we are doing and if we need help we send a picture to the other one and that helps alot. Maybe you can find a friend that you can talk to on the phone like I do. Happy quilting. Happy Holidays.

thimblebug6000 12-10-2011 08:31 AM

I typed Sequim, Washington quilters into search and came up with a few sites, maybe you can find someone close to you through them? http://www.sunbonnetsuequiltclub.org/

The member list here used to let you search by location, but I can't seem to find that option now, sorry.

pinkberrykay 12-10-2011 01:26 PM

I grew up in Vancouver, WA. Don't hear to many people from there.

Evelyn, go on Youtube.com and watch videos this was how I was able to get step by step instructions without having a live person sitting next to me. There are many quilting videos. Missouri Quilt Company is a great one to learn techniques and short cuts.

Originally Posted by evelyn5269 (Post 4765564)
Is there anyone in the Sequim WA area that quilts? I am so learning on my own and can really mess the backing up something terrible. Just built a pvc frame which is fabulous but still not doing things right. Cant get the corners right. Sure would like a live person to spend some time with versus books. Pictures are great but you can't talk to them. Port Angeles and even Poulsbo WA would be ok I just could not go there very often but sure need people help.

Thanks,
Evelyn in Sequim

pinkberrykay 12-10-2011 01:27 PM

Shelia, I grew up in Vancouver, WA. Don't hear to many people from there.

Evelyn, go on Youtube.com and watch videos this was how I was able to get step by step instructions without having a live person sitting next to me. There are many quilting videos. Missouri Quilt Company is a great one to learn techniques and short cuts.

Originally Posted by evelyn5269 (Post 4765564)

Thanks,

Evelyn in Sequim

ckcowl 12-10-2011 01:43 PM

how are you basting your quilts? even with the pvc frame i think you need to baste well before loading to avoid wrinkles- wonky backs. i always hand baste- i don't like dealing with the pins but others use pins every 4" in a grid .
i hope you find someone. is there a local quilt shop? stop in and ask about a local guild-or sewing group- some of the shops have (free) sewing day's where you can go in and sit with other ladies and work on your projects- nice to have the company and lots of free advice. :)

sewbeadit 12-10-2011 02:05 PM

Wow, you guys are good at searching things, I would not have thought to do that.