Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Copywrite and Cancer Quilts Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-copywrite-cancer-quilts-question-t98818.html)

stevendebbie25 02-11-2011 02:01 PM

I never gave this thought before, does anyone know FOR SURE, not speculation. If there are patterns free on the internet, can they be made and donated to a cancer fund raiser? If they are cancer ribbon specific patterns? What about the bargello ribbon (would make a beautiful cancer ribbon quilt)? What about Northcott Ro Gregg designs for Quest for a Cure quilts? What about a photo I saw, and am attempting to recreate with a little twist on it, it was just posted in an open response to an online question using the crown royal bags. I liked several of the designs, and thought I'd combine a little of a few to create a new design of my own, the quilt will be donated to raise funds for cancer also? What about a design I create on my own, but using the cancer ribbon symbol, any restrictions? If you know that for example the bargello ribbon, or Ro Gregg designs can NOT be created to donate for a cancer fund raiser, please let me know. I don't want to break any copywrite laws, but do want to create and contribute to a worthy cause. Thank you All

ktbb 02-11-2011 02:03 PM

the best way to address this is to write to the patternmaker or owner of the design to ask their permission...when they know it's for a donation I'm sure the answer would be affirmative, but better safe than sorry...and put their name on the quilt label.

thequiltmama 02-11-2011 02:04 PM

I do know that you can use any pattern you want but you can not copy the pattern or distribute it without permission. As for the quilt....as far as I know you can make any quilt you want. But I would maybe ask Patrice, she is a wise woman. :-)

stevendebbie25 02-11-2011 02:09 PM

Fast reply, thanks. I know if the pattern is online free I can use it. I know not to copy, share, or sell patterns. I want to know specifically about creating the quilt 'from' these free pattens (or any pattern) and donating the quilt to the American Cancer Society to be sold in a fund raising. It be either raffle, silent auction, or quilt auction.
ALL proceeds donated and to the American Cancer Society, I keep nothing. But I don't want someone from quilt police to turn me in for doing something wrong I'm unaware of. Unintentional is not a defense in court, so I am seeking the answers now.

gramabiese 02-11-2011 02:11 PM

Our group made a quilt with Green Bay Packer fabric and couldn't sell chances on it without the permission of the Green Bay Packer Association. When we asked about it they told us this, plus they donated a signed football to put with it. sometimes it pays to ask first.

thequiltmama 02-11-2011 02:13 PM

Like I said....ask Patrice the moderator. She seems to keep up on the laws. I think she can help. Good luck, I don't know the answer for sure :-(