Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt curtain! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-curtain-t16826.html)

Shemjo 02-22-2009 11:05 AM

I think your idea of using light batting is good. I don't think I would want to wash felt!
A pretty backing and you have a reversible! And something to greet visitors at the door. Sounds like a real winning idea. :lol: Keep us posted, because I think I need something like that also! :?

k3n 02-22-2009 11:05 AM

Thanks all for your help! :D

Yes Ellen, you're right, the sun can fairly beat through there in the summer - I hadn't thought it would be useful for then too!

Izy, I was going to hang it outside the recess - Barney Boy is a huge fatty and he DOES need plenty of room to manoevre! I'd thought of using header tape but thought it might bunch up too much? I would like to do it 'proper, like'! If you think it would work then I'll do it! Otherwise I'd go with the tabs I think, oh shall I just make the quilt and then we'll see? Oh goody, now to find a pattern, any ideas....? :D

K x

k3n 02-22-2009 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
I think your idea of using light batting is good. I don't think I would want to wash felt!
A pretty backing and you have a reversible! And something to greet visitors at the door. Sounds like a real winning idea. :lol: Keep us posted, because I think I need something like that also! :?

Oh, I hadn't thought of people seeing the backing from outside - :oops:

That's opened up a whole new thought process - double sided? pieced backing? (yikes!)

K x

Izy 02-22-2009 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Thanks all for your help! :D

Yes Ellen, you're right, the sun can fairly beat through there in the summer - I hadn't thought it would be useful for then too!

Izy, I was going to hang it outside the recess - Barney Boy is a huge fatty and he DOES need plenty of room to manoevre! I'd thought of using header tape but thought it might bunch up too much? I would like to do it 'proper, like'! If you think it would work then I'll do it! Otherwise I'd go with the tabs I think, oh shall I just make the quilt and then we'll see? Oh goody, now to find a pattern, any ideas....? :D

K x

K If you just use the 1" header tape but don't gather it up the quilt will loop in and out ....does that make sense??? :lol:

Izy 02-22-2009 11:09 AM

K...I meant if you use a hook every 4" or so the fabric between each two hooks will fall into a nice drape...... :?

k3n 02-22-2009 11:25 AM

I get you Izy - so I just sew the header on then hook every 4" and the quilt, because it'll be a little bit stiffer than plain fabric, will naturally 'wave' in and out? Have I got you? :D Or not? :roll:

K x

Sharon M 02-22-2009 11:27 AM

have you thought about making it like a roman shade maybe and mounting it up high over the door in the bulkhead? Or would that block out to much light above when it is drawn up? just an idea to think about.

k3n 02-22-2009 11:30 AM

It's a good idea but I wouldn't know where to begin with a roman shade! In summer, the light wouldn't be a problem but in winter I do like to let it all in!

K x

Sharon M 02-22-2009 11:46 AM

here is a site to check out for ideas, maybe
http://www.terrelldesigns.com/romanshadesgalleries.htm

k3n 02-22-2009 11:53 AM

Wow! There's some beautiful stuff there Sharon, thanks! I think I'll stay with a curtain for the door but maybe I'll have ago at roman shades when I get to the living room... They're pretty big windows with no curtaining at all at the moment - we have outside shutters - and I would love to do a treatment to soften them up but floor length curtains would cover the radiators! These blinds would be great beacuse we could lower them to any height in summer to keep some of the sun out and still let light in! Looks like I've got a few projects lined up...thanks girls!!! Weee hayyyy!!!

K x