Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt dilema (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-dilema-t283548.html)

Idle Di 11-04-2016 02:17 PM

Quilt dilema

Hi, I have just heard about your wonderful site, and have only just joined actually just this minute, I am very confused and not sure how to proceed.

I have a quilt pattern that is appliqued, (not a problem), but it is far too big for what I need. It is called spot the Dog - it has 5 dogs and 20 kennels. It has 5 at the top and 5 at the bottom and the rest of the kennels are scattered around the quilt and the 5 dogs. I would like to have only 4 kennels and 5 dogs (I know uneven) but would love to have around the panel (as I will make it) a surround, now my problem is how do I work out how big the surround should be and is there any hard and fast rules regarding the size. Thank you for reading this and I hope someone can help me. Oh by the way I am from Melbourne Australia.

Idle Di

Gay 11-04-2016 02:38 PM

Welcome from sunny se Qld.
This pattern says for a cot or bed - a big difference. Are the blocks for these different sizes or just more dogs and kennels for the larger size.

If you just want the 5 dogs and 4 kennels in the middle section, can you not scan and resize them to suit your measurements? pm me if I can help further

GingerK 11-04-2016 02:51 PM

Do you mean that you want to only make the center part of the quilt with the five dogs and 4 kennels--sort of like a nine patch isn't it--and then just do borders around? The pattern should tell you how big each (finished) block is. If you multiply that amount by 3 (dog, house, dog across) you will have the size of the panel. Then take the finished size of the quilt that you want and subtract the size of the panel. That will give you how much you need to add on the sides. Don't forget to divided that number in two because you want to add the same amount to each side. (and it can be a different amount on the sides than on the top and bottom depending if you want a square or rectangular quilt.)

Very cute pattern. Must check out her website.

Ooops! Welcome from Ontario Canada

QuiltE 11-04-2016 03:05 PM

Another Welcome from Ontario, Canada!

Is this the quilt you are referencing?
http://moonshinebymonicapoole.typepa...-blog/2013/07/

Cute Quilt!
Yes, you could just do the centre part of the quilt and add on whatever size of border(s) you wish.
.... and No, there are no hard and fast rules as to how wide your border(s) must be.

As is often said here on the QB ... it's your quilt, and you can make it however you like!
To me, that is the FUN part of quilting ... being able to take an idea and morph it into something totally different.

M.Elizabeth 11-04-2016 03:56 PM

No help for your dilemma, but welcome from the beautiful mountains of western NC.

Idle Di 11-04-2016 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK (Post 7692703)
Do you mean that you want to only make the center part of the quilt with the five dogs and 4 kennels--sort of like a nine patch isn't it--and then just do borders around? The pattern should tell you how big each (finished) block is. If you multiply that amount by 3 (dog, house, dog across) you will have the size of the panel. Then take the finished size of the quilt that you want and subtract the size of the panel. That will give you how much you need to add on the sides. Don't forget to divided that number in two because you want to add the same amount to each side. (and it can be a different amount on the sides than on the top and bottom depending if you want a square or rectangular quilt.)

Very cute pattern. Must check out her website.

Ooops! Welcome from Ontario Canada

Oh thank you ever so much, do I cut the material (for surround) across the material, or across and down the material down for the sides, and across for the top and bottom.

Idle Di

PaperPrincess 11-04-2016 04:38 PM

Welcome from the Mid-West.
By surround, I'm thinking you mean the border, which is like a frame around the quilt. There are no rules, or even guidelines for border dimensions. Just whatever is pleasing to YOUR eye. It's your quilt, you make the rules! I would just do the center, 5 dogs, 4 kennels then add a narrow border of a strong contrasting color. (this is often called a stop border) Then add a wider border & applique some of those dog bones on it. If this brings it out to your finished size, great, if not just add another border, choosing a size that is different from the other 2.

as far as how to cut the border, if there is an obvious print or a directional print, you can cut it as you describe from both the width and length of the fabric. You can also just cut it in one direction. Again, your quilt, your rules. complete the top then lay it on the uncut border fabric to determine what looks best to you.

Battle Axe 11-05-2016 02:06 AM

Welcome from Indiana.

Idle Di 11-05-2016 02:14 AM

Thank you ever so much I do appreciate your help

fivepaws 11-05-2016 05:19 AM

That would be adorable. Why not simply cut out the kennels around the outside? Use the bones for a smaller border.
I think that would make an easy but still very cute quilt.