Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilt in the ditch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-ditch-t114117.html)

knitpick 04-06-2011 06:20 PM

Hi can anyone give me some info about quilting in the ditch? such as are the stitches suppose to be visable on the right hand side? anything you could tell me would be of great help. thanks

Treasureit 04-06-2011 06:24 PM

When I SID I use a walking foot and keep the color thread as close to the color as possible - this isn't always an option if there is a big difference in colors. I try to stitch on the seam...sometimes it is invisible - sometimes it shows a little. Once it is all done and you aren't staring at the little stitches I never notice it.

TonnieLoree 04-06-2011 06:26 PM

If they are visible on either side of the seam, that would be called edge stitching. SID, your stitches need to fall exactly in that join. Take heart, this can be nearly impossible without lots of practice, practice and practice. Depending on my project I will try to maintain a good SID, but if I wander over to either side just a bit, I'm not going to fix it, as long as my thread is a great match. If someone wants to critique my skills, and get up close with a magnifying glass, they are invading my quilt with their bad breath.

knitpick 04-06-2011 06:27 PM

thanks do you ever sid by hand?

Maia B 04-06-2011 06:27 PM

I'm mostly self-taught, so this might not be the "correct" answer, but I try to hide the stitching as completely as possible in the seam.

TonnieLoree 04-06-2011 06:28 PM

If they are visible on either side of the seam, that would be called edge stitching. SID, your stitches need to fall exactly in that join. Take heart, this can be nearly impossible without lots of practice, practice and practice. Depending on my project I will try to maintain a good SID, but if I wander over to either side just a bit, I'm not going to fix it, as long as my thread is a great match. If someone wants to critique my skills, and get up close with a magnifying glass, they are contaminating my quilt with their bad breath.

TonnieLoree 04-06-2011 06:29 PM

If they are visible on either side of the seam, that would be called edge stitching. For SID, your stitches need to fall exactly in that join. Take heart, this can be nearly impossible without lots of practice, practice and practice. Depending on my project I will try to maintain a good SID, but if I wander over to either side just a bit, I'm not going to fix it, as long as my thread is a great match. If someone wants to critique my skills, and get up close with a magnifying glass, they are contaminating my quilt with their bad breath.

If they are visible on either side of the seam, that would be called edge stitching. For SID, your stitches need to fall exactly in that join. Take heart, this can be nearly impossible without lots of practice, practice and practice. Depending on my project I will try to maintain a good SID, but if I wander over to either side just a bit, I'm not going to fix it, as long as my thread is a great match. If someone wants to critique my skills, and get up close with a magnifying glass, they are contaminating my quilt with their bad breath.

TonnieLoree 04-06-2011 06:30 PM

If they are visible on either side of the seam, that would be called edge stitching. For SID, your stitches need to fall exactly in that join. Take heart, this can be nearly impossible without lots of practice, practice and practice. Depending on my project I will try to maintain a good SID, but if I wander over to either side just a bit, I'm not going to fix it, as long as my thread is a great match. If someone wants to critique my skills, and get up close with a magnifying glass, they are contaminating my quilt with their bad breath. (If this has multiple posts, sorry)