Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Fuse Layout Grids (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-fuse-layout-grids-t223378.html)

clsurz 06-10-2013 08:51 AM

Quilt Fuse Layout Grids

Goes to show I do not know much about quilting!

In playing with EQ7 this morning and trying to see the various types of quilt layouts one can consider using I found while on line looking for irregular quilt grids that there is a product called quilt fuse layout grids which supposedly makes it easier to get better or more uniform blocks using this product.

Anyone use it or something similar and if so does it come in various sizes for use?

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 06-10-2013 08:57 AM

I've seen a video on www.QuiltinaDay.com of Eleanor Burns using it to make a basket quilt. Somehow, it just didn't look like something I wanted to try.

carslo 06-10-2013 09:01 AM

I used the fusiable grid layout for a watercolor wall quilt, because of all the 1.5 inch squares to sew together. I laid out all of the fabric in a pleasing manner, I then ironed the fabric to the grid and then sewed the long seams. It worked fine but I doubt if I will make another watercolor quilt - it was too fussy for my liking.

mary quilting 06-10-2013 10:12 AM

I used it once also for a watercolor wall quilt .

Originally Posted by carslo (Post 6114507)
I used the fusiable grid layout for a watercolor wall quilt, because of all the 1.5 inch squares to sew together. I laid out all of the fabric in a pleasing manner, I then ironed the fabric to the grid and then sewed the long seams. It worked fine but I doubt if I will make another watercolor quilt - it was too fussy for my liking.

quiltsRfun 06-10-2013 10:37 AM

I bought a grid that I thought was fusible. Couldn't get the fabric to stick no matter which side I used. I ended up using basting spray. Made a nice little quilt with lots of 2 inch squares but I didn't particularly like the weight it added to the quilt top. Seemed a little stiff. I suppose it would be a good way to go for a wall hanging.

Hulalulu 06-10-2013 12:58 PM

I used this product for a pair of inserts on a quilt - making 2" squares - it is a time saver, and does make your seams line up correctly. The inserts were about 40" x 10" finished. A technique you need to use - sew one line from the top, the next from the bottom, so that the continual use of one direction does not distort the finished project. ALSO -- the brand we used left red dye marks on our machines -- so they need to be covered with a protective layer of clear plastic attached with tape to minimize this problem.

psumom 06-10-2013 03:36 PM

I used a grid for a watercolor wallhanging. I felt that it made the piece too bulky, and the seams really thick.

echoemb 06-10-2013 05:01 PM

Attended a quilt show a month ago and made table runner at a vendors booth. Went together quickly and turned out nice

DOTTYMO 06-10-2013 11:56 PM

I used the quilt fuse in making a quillow type quilt. The centre was squares on point. I placed these on the fuse and folders on the lines before sewing seam down from crease. Then turned to do the rest. The best matching of points I have ever done. Sounds clumsy but once one easy. My biggest problem was I didn't ensure all was fused down.
I made an attic window centres the same way using squares of fabric..much easier second time.
Sorry looking for quilts if I find will put pictures up.