Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt for Granny (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-granny-t162265.html)

rebeccai 10-21-2011 06:07 PM

I am a Kindergarten teacher and I have a "Granny" who helps me in my classroom. My students adore her just as much as I do! I want to make a quilt for her but as a teacher I am so limited on time. However, I want to make a special quilt for her and somehow involve my kids in the process. I know many of you have made quilts for teachers of your own children or grandchildren. Therefore, I come to you for some suggestions. Any advice on a "simple" quilt involving my students would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!! :lol:

dakotamaid 10-21-2011 06:09 PM

When I was a K volunteer the teacher had the students handprints (messy job) put on squares and than she sewed the squares into a throw for me. I still have it, that was 25 years ago.

rebeccai 10-21-2011 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
When I was a K volunteer the teacher had the students handprints (messy job) put on squares and than she sewed the squares into a throw for me. I still have it, that was 25 years ago.

Do you happen to know what kind of paint was used for the handprints?

3incollege 10-21-2011 06:13 PM

you could have the kids color a square of fabric, put sashing around, boarder and that should do it.

dakotamaid 10-21-2011 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by rebeccai

Originally Posted by dakotamaid

Gosh, I'm not sure but she said she had set the paint with an iron and in washing it has not faded much. I'm guessing that she paired up with the art teacher and used tempera paints but I'm just not sure.

Glassquilt 10-21-2011 06:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are two quilts done by children (and adults)

alikat110 10-21-2011 06:17 PM

Have you seen the crayola crayon quilts....have the kids each draw a picture, iron on fabric, sash, layer, baste, quilt, and bind!!!! Google it!!!

Up North 10-21-2011 06:33 PM

I have seen the hand print ones done with acrylics they seem to wash well.

Prism99 10-21-2011 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by rebeccai

If you go to an arts supply store, they should be able to help you find the right kind of paints for the handprints. I did this once years ago. I think it was acrylic paints made for fabric, and I think I heat set the prints. It was messy, but acrylics clean up pretty easily. We used paper plates to hold the paint.

Shelbie 10-21-2011 06:40 PM

Alikat is right. The Crayola Crayon quilts are easy, not messy and last really well. Precut the squares, 8 1/2" or even larger and have the kids draw their picture making the colours fairly intense. I found poly/cotton worked well with the crayon. Iron the finished picture between paper towels to set the crayon. It actually sinks right into the fabric and doesn't seem to fade much if washed in cold water. I line dried it as I was afraid the heat from the dryer would disturb the crayon. Assemble the blocks with sashing and have the kids tie the quilt. She'll love it.