Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt kit. Now what? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-kit-now-what-t238211.html)

pyffer3 01-05-2014 07:16 PM

Quilt kit. Now what?

I received 2 quilt kits for Christmas. They are from connecting threads. The one I want to start with is called 'The Great Frame Up'. The fabrics are beautiful, but the directions are overwhelming! I am so afraid of making the first cut in case I make a mistake! Am I the only one to have this fear?

Lori S 01-05-2014 07:28 PM

Take it one step at a time. Read the directions several times... until you have confidence you understand the entire set of directions. If you think there is a step you might be confused .. make a sample block using scrap fabric. Which kit did you get? .. Remember we are all here to help if you get stuck.

Gannyrosie 01-05-2014 08:02 PM

Sometimes I have to read the directions a couple of times, then put it on the side for a day to let it sink in. Then for some reason it makes sense a couple of days later.

Holice 01-05-2014 08:08 PM

I will highlight key parts of the instructions so I don't miss a step or overlook critical details.

Tartan 01-05-2014 08:33 PM

Is there any fabric in your stash that will go with the kit fabric? If so, knowing your have backup fabric may take the pressure off. I check off the steps when working from a new pattern.

Peckish 01-05-2014 08:51 PM

Or make a test block or two with scrap fabric. This will clarify the steps in your mind and you will gain confidence.

NJ Quilter 01-06-2014 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 6495491)
Take it one step at a time. Read the directions several times... until you have confidence you understand the entire set of directions. If you think there is a step you might be confused .. make a sample block using scrap fabric. Which kit did you get? .. Remember we are all here to help if you get stuck.

I second this suggestion. Not only will it give you some confidence but you may find an easier way of doing the block than what is written. I bought a pattern at one point, didn't really pay attention to the size of the quilt (ended up as a wall hanging which is not what I was looking for); just jumped in and started cutting a bazillion little pieces only to realize after starting to construct the block that I could have done things far differently using larger, easier to handle pieces.

toverly 01-06-2014 04:58 AM

Quilt kits can be scary. I agree totally. If the fabric is a recognizable fabric, see if it is available in cut yardage, that might take the pressure off and you can enjoy your kit. Or look to see if you have coordinating fabrics in your stash or LQS. Just in case the accident happens and you make a mistake, there is always a way to add more fabric to create a beautiful one of a kind quilt.

Joset 01-06-2014 05:35 AM

when i find that instruction don't make sense i have enough fabric to make one from
some scraps so i know what i am doing. that happens a lot haha

pattypurple 01-06-2014 05:43 AM

Connecting Threads are known for having excess fabric in their kits. Just go for it-step by step. They also have good online support