Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt kits -- cheaper to build your own? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-kits-cheaper-build-your-own-t208473.html)

lberna 12-15-2012 06:00 AM

I bought a kit once and I wasn't happy with purchase. It didn't come with the exact fabric that was pictured. They substituted a couple of fabrics. Also, no room for error. Too tense for me. I make quilts as a form of relaxation.

DogHouseMom 12-15-2012 06:10 AM

The math of the kit is all broken down on the website.

For the Original size 78x78 you are paying for

Pattern $36.00 (includes templates for applique)
DMC Floss ($3.00?)
18 5/8 yards of fabric (this figure is ridiculous for this size quilt! - but that's what it say's so at $10.00/yd thats $186.50)
for this they are charging $300.

Jackie Spencer 12-15-2012 06:54 AM

I just found the kit for $189.00 thats quite a savings!!

KarenR 12-15-2012 06:58 AM

My local quilt shop- only charges for the fabric that is used.

BellaBoo 12-15-2012 08:48 AM

I buy lots of quilt kits. I have about a dozen or more in my stash. Some were very expensive, some were 60% off so the cost evens out. Seldom do I buy the backing fabric that is offered for the kit. That is where I feel I can save the most money by waiting for a sale and choosing my own backing.

newestnana 12-15-2012 09:06 AM

Update: I found the kit on ebay for an excellent price (new in unopened package, free shipping). If anyone is interested there are a few left. I used the Buy It Now option.

Note that this kit is available with or without backing, and some places sell the larger sizes. Still, with the breakdown, the kit pricing was too expensive before I found the ebay option $107.99.

I figure I'll review the pattern and order fabric for backing and additional fabric if I want to expand it to a larger size (more borders or whatever). The fabrics are still available a number of places.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions!

Note this is a Christmas quilt and I didn't even make this year's (which I have the fabric and pattern for), so I shouldn't really be thinking of next year's yet LOL.

Sierra 12-15-2012 09:27 AM

Mnay of us quilt for the joy of creating something beautiful, or something needed, or as a way of expressing love and concern. Only you can determine why you quilt. If your motive is basically for something beautiful then buy the kit. If you love creating, then don't buy the kit. With a kit you are sewing someone else's creatiion, start to finish. Those of us who like to use ideas that are a bit different, or colors that are used just because we like them and can "see" them going together, (think about the "used only stash scraps" quilts that are often posted, so many of which are outstanding), then you have to go with buying your own, or using your own stash.

Some of us zero in on skills and strive toward perfection. Some of us zero in on the person to whom it will go, or a design that is in our heads. Where do you fit? What makes you happy? Thank the Lord we are not all the same!!!!

Dolphyngyrl 12-15-2012 09:41 AM

I would say yes it is more expensive, except for connecting threads has kits at great prices, and maybe applique kits that require small pieces that you can't but in that increment and would have to buy a lot of fat quarters which can become very pricey if you don't have a stash, so I would say it depends on what the quilt is

pocoellie 12-15-2012 09:47 AM

I never buy kits, one, they're too expensive, two, I want to make the pattern, using MY choices of fabric.

mtngrl 12-15-2012 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by newestnana (Post 5721705)
Update: I found the kit on ebay for an excellent price (new in unopened package, free shipping). If anyone is interested there are a few left. I used the Buy It Now option.

Note that this kit is available with or without backing, and some places sell the larger sizes. Still, with the breakdown, the kit pricing was too expensive before I found the ebay option $107.99.

I figure I'll review the pattern and order fabric for backing and additional fabric if I want to expand it to a larger size (more borders or whatever). The fabrics are still available a number of places.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions!

Note this is a Christmas quilt and I didn't even make this year's (which I have the fabric and pattern for), so I shouldn't really be thinking of next year's yet LOL.

I've been drooling over this one too, maybe I'll check out the ebay option, that is closer to the actual cost if you purchase separately.