Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt label advice... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-label-advice-t36560.html)

RatherB Quilting 02-10-2010 02:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all. I just finished this quilt for a friend's baby and I want to put a label on it so I can recognize the individual who did the quilting. I wondered if any of you have advice for a good way to do labels that would be permenant through washings. I am hesitant to use permenant marker, cuz in my experience, it eventually washes out.
Any help you guys could give would be wonderful

From the quilt book: Quilting for Baby. Jeanne Stauffer and Sandra L. Hatch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]8604[/ATTACH]

beachlady 02-10-2010 02:18 PM

Those monkeys are adorable! I embroider my labels, so not sure what to say about that.

vjengels 02-10-2010 02:18 PM

I always vote for embroidered label , if you have the time.
copy a nice font from the computer, use a light box , trace & stitch. I like the hand work.

Joan 02-10-2010 02:26 PM

What a darling quilt!
I usually hand embroider a label.

(I usually iron on freezer paper on the piece of fabric I want to use for the label. It needs to be 8" x 10". I type my label using whatever font I want (in the color of the embroidery thread I'll be using). Then I feed the paper (freezer paper with fabric---fabric side up) through my printer. I have had good success using this method although have to admit have jammed printer a couple of times.

jljack 02-10-2010 02:35 PM

Cute quilt!!! I use an iron on label frame, then I use permanent fine point Sharpies to write in the information. If I could I would get a rubber stamp with permanent fabric ink, or have some labels embroidered.

MissTreated 02-10-2010 02:52 PM

I make embroidered labels. Usually I use a leftover block backed with some of that tear-away stuff.

It was suggested to me some time ago, if at all possible to put the label on before quilting, it makes it more permanent.

I like to put the name of the quilt, who made it (me), significant name and date of the person receiving it, and the quilter, if need be. I just finished a baby quilt and had to gift it before the baby was born. I gave the blank label to the mother-to-be with an explanation that it will be filled after the baby is born.

BTW, adorable quilt!

blahel 02-10-2010 02:54 PM

Gorgeous quilt! I always just hand embroider a label onto the quilt.

athenagwis 02-10-2010 03:21 PM

If you want to use a pen, don't use sharpie, youa re right that they eventually come out. Use a pigma pen by micron, I have a quilt that is 10 years old and been through many multiple washings and the pen still looks like I wrote it on there yesterday.

Very cute blanket!! Was that a pattern? I'd love to try that one.

Cheers!
Rachel

katier825 02-10-2010 03:22 PM

I love your quilt! I usually print my labels on the inkjet fabric sheets. I haven't been doing this for long, so I'm not sure how long it lasts. I have messy handwriting and do not have an embroidery machine, so I choose this method.

thequilterslink 02-10-2010 03:34 PM

Your quilt is so cute, love the monkeys. I don't usually remember to add a label :(