Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Label Coloring (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-label-coloring-t312987.html)

lindaschipper 11-03-2020 05:41 AM

Quilt Label Coloring

I've sent my little granddaughters "big girl bed" quilt off to be quilted because it was too large for my frame and my Janome machine. It will be 74 x 90 when finished. Now I need a label for it. I have some black and white labels that can be colored in to make them prettier, but I've never done this before. What kind of pens do you use that will be machine washable? I'll need some with a fine tip to get into the small designs on the labels. I know that some wonderful ladies will come up with the answers for me....can't wait to start coloring!!

SewTrini 11-03-2020 07:10 AM

Quilt Label Coloring

Try Derwent watercolor pencils. Check YouTube for videos.

JL

lindaschipper 11-03-2020 07:42 AM

Looking for something that is not watersoluble....the Dewent item you mentioned are and will wash away.

bearisgray 11-03-2020 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by SewTrini (Post 8429892)
Try Derwent watercolor pencils. Check YouTube for videos.

JL

You might try the Derwent inktense pencils. They are supposed to be permanent - but do follow the instructions and use something that will keep it from bleeding - can't think of the name of that stuff now. Aloe Vera has been suggested.

quilting cat 11-03-2020 10:27 AM

For years I have been using "Kids Camp for BUSYKIDS Marvy Fabric Marker" c.2006 Distributed by Jo-Ann Stores, Inc.
(Yes, the same packages for over 10 years.) Quilts don't get washed much, but the colors stayed fine through several washings of camp t-shirts.

osewfast 11-06-2020 07:45 AM

Gel pens work well - but must be heat set. Easily available & in a wide variety of colors.
Also Micron Pigma pens - also must be heat set, have worked well for me, too.

You can test colored sharpies - heat set, then wash. I'm wary of them bleeding, tho'.

Have fun coloring!
Donna Mc

juliasb 11-06-2020 10:13 AM

I machine embroider my labels now. the lettering is always in black and the fabric is a piece of left over fabric from the quilt. I always make a label but don't always get it applied right away.

Fabric Galore 11-06-2020 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by juliasb (Post 8430694)
I machine embroider my labels now. the lettering is always in black and the fabric is a piece of left over fabric from the quilt. I always make a label but don't always get it applied right away.

I always label my quilts but quite a few of mine are baby quilts that get washed a lot. I would love to be able to machine embroider my labels but I have trouble getting my Janome 15000 to embroider more than one line. How do you embroider your labels?

mjkgquilt 11-06-2020 04:06 PM

I create the words for a quilt label in my embroidery software. Load the words on my embroidery machine and stitch them out. I usually stitch them on a piece of fabric. After the quilt is ready to quilt, I stitch the label to the back of the quilt. Some of the quilting goes on the quilt and I think it will discourage anyone who tries to remove the label.

Lady Diana 11-08-2020 06:20 AM

Are always place two labels on my quilt, one inside between the layers that is permanent ink, then I put another embroidered label on the outside of the quilt. I want to make sure that information for my family or others will not be lost when I am long gone