Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt label placement for show? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-label-placement-show-t244100.html)

Silver Needle 03-28-2014 06:57 PM

Quilt label placement for show?

I have made a quilt for DH aunt and plan to make some for shows as well. If you are looking at the back of the quilt does the label go on bottom L or R? I did a search but couldn't find one that said if they were looking at back or front.

Dina 03-28-2014 07:02 PM

I am interested in the answer to this also, though I suspect there really isn't a rule. But if there is, I want to know. :)

Dina

ckcowl 03-29-2014 01:04 AM

when you enter your quilts in 'quilt shows' they generally have specific instructions concerning the label- you need to read the 'rules' concerning the specific show you are entering and follow their instructions. they generally tell you exactly what is to be on the label- and where to put it. sometimes it does not matter which (side) of the bottom it goes- just a lower corner- but sometimes a label is placed on top-under the hanging sleeve. sometimes it does not matter where it's placed- could be in the center if you wanted it there- but the contents of the label are pretty much always specific.

DOTTYMO 03-29-2014 01:46 AM

Just had my instructions in UK bottom left. The instructions come when you receive your paper label with the number and type of quilt. They tell you to hand stitch. Last time I was also told to place piece of fabric over it so not visible for judging. It also helps when hanging the quilts .

lfletcher 03-29-2014 05:08 AM

I have always puts my labels on the bottom left and have never had a problem with a show. I don't recall specific instructions on where to place the label just to cover it with muslin for judging.

dunster 03-29-2014 05:47 AM

I think we may be talking about two things here. One is the label you put on your quilt just because you made the quilt, and the other is the label that identifies the quilt during the quilt show. The first one is entirely up to you - placement, size, content, etc. The second is a temporary label that helps the people running the show make sure that the quilt gets back to the right person.

TrenbeathRanch 03-29-2014 05:51 AM

It is your quilt and your label...you aren't judged on it, nor is it integral for showing purposes (like a hanging sleeve). Put it wherever you want. The purpose of the label is to identify the maker and establish the history of the quilt...the more info you can put on the label, the better. There is no hard/fast rule for placement...you might not want to cover some intricate quilting that exists in the lower corner, so you could put it behind an applique element in the middle of the quilt back. It doesn't matter and you won't be judged poorly due to placement. Additionally, if you hate the process of hand-stitching a label (hard to turn a bed-size quilt to get a grip on the inner 2 sides of the label), then use liquid-stitch to attach it. Quick, easy, and permanent.

tessagin 03-29-2014 06:10 AM

My cousin enters many of her quilts in shows. She has often said she has to follow the label placement according to regulations. BUT she also has another label sewn into inconspicuous spots for permanent labels. The ones for shows are temporary.

toverly 03-29-2014 06:32 AM

I would follow the show rules. They are usually pretty specific. In the Pensacola Show it is as you are looking at the quilt. Lower left. We are given a special show label with the entryform. I know in our show it really matters when the quilts are handled. All Labels are covered with duck tape in ours so the judge only has a number on the show label. No reference to title or person. It can cause your quilt alot of folding and unfolding if the label is on the opposite side or in the wron place.

ghostrider 03-29-2014 06:44 AM

Absent specific rules from the show committee, the show label should go in the lower left corner as you look at the back. The reason is simple...the white glove people will flip the lower right corner of the front and expect the label to be there.

Entry forms will tell you what to include on the label, but it's usually just the quilt title, your name, address and phone #, sometimes email as well. If the show is to be judged, the label is usually required to be temporarily covered (by pinning muslin over it) so the judges can look at the back stitching without knowing who the quiltmaker is.

If showing above the local level, I would strongly advise removing any 'personal' labels before entry. They're TMI and they raise the question of hiding faults. Not all shows require the same info on the label, so if you plan to campaign a quilt in several shows, make sure your label is replaceable.