Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt labels; help please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-labels%3B-help-please-t206331.html)

Learner747 11-18-2012 01:45 PM

Quilt labels; help please

I am making quilts for our children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and husband of 48 years. When I make the labels for each quilt, how do I do it? I am a first grader at computers and printers.

I can print on fabric but how do I keep the letters from fading when they get wet? Thanks for your help.

Quiltngolfer 11-18-2012 02:00 PM

I do mine in embroidery. You can buy printed label fabric and write on it with the Pigma pens. I have used that if I am in a hurry.

Marycumi 11-18-2012 02:14 PM

When you use the printable fabric the ink become permanent. Just follow the package directions.

irishrose 11-18-2012 02:15 PM

I hand write mine with a black Pigma pen on cream muslin with freezer paper ironed on the back. Next, I decorate it with fabric pen colors in just a simple flower or geometric design. Then I buttonhole stitch it on with Perle cotton. My quilts have all been for family. Whoops, I didn't put labels on my donation quilts.

The printer ink is permanent. My son is not a careful laundry person and his girls' pictures on the back of his quilt have survived.

TinkerQuilts 11-18-2012 02:36 PM

I machine embroider my labels. Used to hand embroider them before I got the embroidery machine tho.

Jo C 11-18-2012 02:41 PM

I just write on white fabric with a permanent marker. Have had no problems with fading, even after multiple washings.

DogHouseMom 11-18-2012 03:13 PM

I make mine in Word, I can add designs and pick various fonts etc. I use fabric from my stash and treat it with Bubble Jet 2000 then iron the fabric to freezer paper, run it through the Ink Jet Printer and viola! A washable label - even in color.

Some notes:

If you use your own fabric, you MUST prewash it and dry it without any softener.

If you use your own fabric, you MUST pre-treat it with Bubble Jet 2000 (or similar product) or the color will not hold through the first wash (B&W will hold, color will NOT).

If you use your own fabric and Bubble Jet 2000 - follow the directions on the bottle with regard to pre-washing, treating, drying .. etc. All of the instructions are on the bottle.

You can buy the fabric sheets that are specially made for printing in Ink Jet printers - but I have found that it is cheaper to use my own fabric and buy the Bubble Jet 2000. It depends on how many labels you think you will make.

You CANNOT use a Laser printer with fabric!!! You can only use an Ink Jet.

Bookish One 11-19-2012 05:54 AM

On You Tube, go to The Crafty Gemini and type in How to Make your own fabric labels for free. It is an excellent video and will give you all the information and instructions you will need. Hope this helps.

Learner747 11-19-2012 09:27 AM

Thanks everyone!

AliKat 11-19-2012 03:07 PM

There are several written tutes here on the QB. I know because I posted one long ago. I use my computer and printer to make my own labels.

ali