Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt labels (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-labels-t105431.html)

Stacey 03-06-2011 09:45 AM

I used my printer to print a label for my DD quilt. She washed the quilt and the only part that remained was my signature and the little red hearts which I had done with the Micron Pigma Pen. I was quite concerned as I have "printed" my labels before and no one has said anything. (Maybe they haven't washed them yet) If you think about it, when a drop hits a printed page the text runs (DUH). So.... I don't have an embroidery machine and I really HATE writing labels out by hand. I have nice handwriting but not when it comes to writing on fabric (Yes, I stabilize the fabric with freezer paper). Maybe I should quit being so obsessed with neatness and just hand print them. I have been quilting for 13 years and have never had this come up. How do ya'll do your labels?

ckcowl 03-06-2011 09:49 AM

I print my labels...using a good HP printer. let the label set and 'cure' for 24 hours then heat set it; cure it for another 24 hours then i run cold water through it to make sure it is going to last. if it fades at all i either go over it with a micron pen or start over. if there is alot of ink involved in the label i may heat set and cure it over and over for a week before i test it; i have had pretty good luck with my labels lasting.

Sadiemae 03-06-2011 09:50 AM

I use the fabric sheets or roll that is made for printing with an inkjet printer and I haven't had any problems. ( You let them sit for 10 minutes and then rinse with cold water.) They also sell a liquid that works with your own fabric. I am sure there are other ways, but I don't know of anything for laser printers.

AliKat 03-06-2011 10:36 AM

I have posted how I make my labels before on this board. Not sure if I included that you shouldn't use the BEST quality printing but something lesser so there isn't any excess ink to run when quilt is washed.

ali

scowlkat 03-06-2011 10:56 AM

Fabric needs to be pretreated, either with Bubble Jet Set or using commercially prepared sheets. Otherwise, all writing should be done with a Pigma pen or other method that is permanent (prepared according to manufacturer's suggestions!)

Jan in VA 03-06-2011 01:15 PM

I've been printing my labels for nearly 20 years on muslin or other cotton fabric through an HP inkjet printer, long before special tools/fabrics were developed for this process, and I wash my quilts all the time with no problem.

I DO let the label 'cure' for weeks before that first wash of them, maybe that's the difference.

Jan in VA

Butterflyblue 03-06-2011 03:22 PM

Often, I format my labels in a word processing program (chose a clear, bold font) and then use a lightbox to trace the letters with pigma pen. I don't have a laser printer, and that way they are neater than if I write freehand.

Shorebird 03-06-2011 03:28 PM

I have an embroidery machine, and use that to create my labels.

Stacey 03-06-2011 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
Often, I format my labels in a word processing program (chose a clear, bold font) and then use a lightbox to trace the letters with pigma pen. I don't have a laser printer, and that way they are neater than if I write freehand.

I think I may do this. I had printed the label on muslin and ironed it heavily as I was ironing 1/4 for the hem. So it was set with the iron and probably a week later I mailed it to my daughter. I didn't ask her why she washed it right away. She did IM me a picture of HER cat cuddled into it not many minutes after it was out of the box so I guess all cats love a good quilt. Thanks for your input. I can always get a question answered here.