Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Labels? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-labels-t22724.html)

Joan 07-15-2009 06:12 AM

Initially, I went to embroidery stores and had my labels "made". It was pricey but I got a nice label for my quilts.

Now, I do something different which not only says my $ but is easy for me. I iron a piece of freezer paper to the label fabric, a full 8" x 10" sheet of paper and fabric.

I go to my word processing program and design the label. I get to pick the font and color which I like.

I print it on the computer. Feed the "paper" fabric side down, freezer side up.

I get a nice printed label that I hand embroider over. If I print the label pink, I stitch with pink floss, etc. Yes, the "print" from the computer does wash out. Just my idea, I'm sure there is an easier way but I like the look of the hand stitched embroidery and the printing is all uniform and of one style.

MoMoSews 07-15-2009 07:17 AM

Thanks everyone, as always very helpful. :lol:

sewnsewer2 07-15-2009 09:57 AM

I have an embroidery machine so I make my own.

Jim's Gem 07-15-2009 10:30 AM

I put a label on every quilt that I give away. I have not labeled the quilts that I have kept, but I should.
I used to just write on some Muslin with a Pigma marker, then I incorporated that signed piece into an extra block or extra fabrics from the front of the quilt, Now I use an extra block or fabrics and use the embroidery unit on my machine to make a nicer label. I don't put too much information on mine. An example of one I just did last week was for a wedding gift. I wrote:
This quilt was made special for:
Adam and Amy Cronk
In Celebration of their union in marriage on
July 11, 2009
Made by, Gayle E Moyer July 2009
For babies I put the birth date and weight and height. I don't usually put the name of the pattern on the label, but many do.
Hope this helps

sunnyhope 07-15-2009 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i use the fabric that i use for my handdyes its PFD fabric - you could also purchase the fabric thats meant to go thru the printer.

where can you get that and how does ur labels look like?

and everyone, it would be amazinginly kind if you could put photos of your labels here, i ll really appreciate it :)

kluedesigns 07-15-2009 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by sunnyhope

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i use the fabric that i use for my handdyes its PFD fabric - you could also purchase the fabric thats meant to go thru the printer.

where can you get that and how does ur labels look like?

and everyone, it would be amazinginly kind if you could put photos of your labels here, i ll really appreciate it :)

]]

i buy it by the bolt in Manhattan's Garment District but many stores online carry it or your LQS might have some.

it comes out good - its like any print fabric.

i don't have any quilt labels in my house right now but these are my handbag labels and the quilt labels are the same print quality except they have more writing on them.

Chele 07-15-2009 04:26 PM

I think labels are so important, but I'm so bad about doing them! Even if you can just sign the back of the quilt with a Micron pen. You know we'll never remember dates, patterns, etc.

I did a fancy label once! This thread has inspired me to do labels! Thanks!