Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Labels (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-labels-t71826.html)

DollyQuilt 10-23-2010 09:25 AM

I just finished a quilt, and now I need to attach a label. Since I have never done this with any of the other quilts I have made I need some help! I have a panel of different quilt labels, and my question is how do I cut them apart - like how much of a margin around each one. Then, how do I write on them - I do have pigma pens - is that what I should use? Any help or info any of you out there can think of, I sure would appreciate it. I check different topics on this site every day, and learn something new. Thanks for your help.

littlehud 10-23-2010 09:29 AM

I leave myself enough to turn under and write with pigma pens. Sounds like you're ready to go

amma 10-23-2010 09:29 AM

I like to turn under 1/4-1/2" all around the label, and then hand sew them on.
Your pigma pens will work great for this, I would iron freezer paper to the back of them, write on them and then sew them on the quilt.
The freezer paper stabilizes the fabric and makes writing much easier. Remove it before using the label on your quilt :D:D:D

meme peggy 10-23-2010 09:38 AM

I do labels differently...I use the backing fabric if possible, print a message on the computer, copy it on tissue paper and embrodery it following the printing on the tissue paper...it will last as long as the quilt does and
the person feels like you made an extra effort...the thread shows up better on solid fabric....then turn the edges and attach as regular labels....my quilts so far have been for family, so I wanted the date and signature to be remembered..

Spudgm 10-23-2010 09:45 AM

Great idea Peggy. Thanks!

DollyQuilt 10-23-2010 10:01 AM

Thank you so much everyone for your great tips on labels. I am going to iron freezer paper under it before I write on it. I feel much more confident doing labels. Maybe, I'll even make some for the other quilts I made! Thanks again.

np3 10-23-2010 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by meme peggy
I do labels differently...I use the backing fabric if possible, print a message on the computer, copy it on tissue paper and embrodery it following the printing on the tissue paper...it will last as long as the quilt does and
the person feels like you made an extra effort...the thread shows up better on solid fabric....then turn the edges and attach as regular labels....my quilts so far have been for family, so I wanted the date and signature to be remembered..

good idea!

pdolls 10-23-2010 01:55 PM

I use my embor mac for making labels and make them up ahead of time so one is ready as soon as the quilt is finnished

Mattee 10-23-2010 02:05 PM

Fantastic tip! I never thought of using the freezer paper. Thanks!

Originally Posted by amma
I like to turn under 1/4-1/2" all around the label, and then hand sew them on.
Your pigma pens will work great for this, I would iron freezer paper to the back of them, write on them and then sew them on the quilt.
The freezer paper stabilizes the fabric and makes writing much easier. Remove it before using the label on your quilt :D:D:D