Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt layout ideas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-layout-ideas-t298859.html)

jcrow 08-13-2018 08:52 PM

The one blocks look like Christmas blocks IMOO.

liking quilting 08-14-2018 03:23 AM

Oh, what a fun project you're taking on. Whatever pattern you choose, be sure to keep us updated. I can't wait to see the finished quilt. Your grandmother made beautiful blocks!

cindyb 08-14-2018 04:04 AM

Wow!!!!! What beautiful handwork!!! I'm thinking if it were me, I would make a double sided quilt, use the summer side, then flip it over for fall.

Quiltngolfer 08-14-2018 04:28 AM

Her work is wonderful! I’m sure the two of you will come up with a beautiful completed project. Please share it with us. There are some great suggestions here. How sweet of you to take the time and effort to do this with your grandmother. You won’t regret it. You will make some wonderful memories together. Good luck!

SusieQOH 08-14-2018 04:41 AM

What gorgeous blocks!!!!!!

just janet 08-14-2018 05:27 AM

The workmanship on those blocks are beyond beautiful and you're a very special person to be doing this with your grandma. Good luck, please post the results. Wishing good health to your grandma.

givio 08-14-2018 07:19 AM

I agree that the blocks look like a Baltimore Album type quilt, although those are not usually done in flannel. I would not use dark sashing. It will draw the eye and take it away from the motifs. If any color I'd go with red, as that's more traditional, but a lot of BAQ don't have sashing. If you have matching fabric cut into alternate blocks, you could cut that into sashing to separate the blocks if you feel they are too busy when set directly together. I'd set them straight, as you don't see a lot of BAQ quilts set diagonally. There's nothing that says you need to go with what's traditionally done though!

You thought they seemed like the wool applique method. Are they raw edge applique? Or are the edges turned under? From the pictures, it looks like the edges are turned under-- but if they are raw, then I'd divide the blocks and use them to make smaller wall hangings. If turned under and the stitching looks sturdy, then I'd make them into a bed quilt or two. Think about washing, and repeated washing. Sometimes items that are embroidered are nicer to put on the wall where the embroidery doesn't wear out so quickly.

Please remember to check the pins, and make sure they are not rusting in the fabric.

Lovely work! Your grandma is a talented lady. I wish my UFOs will be half that nice!

sash 08-14-2018 08:13 AM

Wow, what a treasure. And you are wonderful/awesome for doing this and helping with your grandmother. I have 8 grandchildren and they hardly even bother with a phone call. One, I am going to help her make 2 quilts for her mother in law that has gone through breast cancer and another Mimi that actually raised her. Those blocks are so very pretty and her embroidery skills are wonderful.

Nechama117 08-14-2018 08:51 AM

Absolutely lovely.

cindyb 08-14-2018 12:52 PM

I think everyone wants to adopt YOU!!! It sounds like you already have a very busy live - but, you will NEVER regret this special time with Grama.