Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt layout for non-matching summer blocks? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-layout-non-matching-summer-blocks-t302951.html)

mjpEncinitas 02-11-2019 07:22 PM

Quilt layout for non-matching summer blocks?

1 Attachment(s)
What should I do with the blocks I got in the summer block swap? There are 6”,9” and 12” blocks. The theme is summer. The colors are random. One 9” watermelon block is on point. The blocks are beautifully made.

Have you done any quilts with blocks like this? Can you show them to me?
Any suggestions? [ATTACH=CONFIG]608296[/ATTACH]

Crqltr 02-11-2019 07:31 PM

What I do is figure out the largest block and then build all the others blocks to that size. Either by adding borders or combining the smaller blocks. Hope this makes sense and helps.

QuiltE 02-11-2019 08:51 PM

Nice assortment of blocks.
I would just start by playing with them on your design wall.

First I would stack up all the same sizes.
I'd probably consider what block(s) I wanted as the focal/centre block, and put it on the wall.
Then start building around it with the others.

You may find you have some spaces, and want to make a few more blocks to fill those in.

Tartan 02-11-2019 08:53 PM

​Always are challenge and most make a simple block like a half square triangles to get the smaller blocks up to size. You have quite a few different colours but if you could find a rainbow fabric for the fill ins, that might look nice.

Gay 02-11-2019 09:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Maybe this layout I did with EQ7 will help you. I hope you can see the red lines, they are 4" apart so should give you an idea of the different widths of sashing you would need.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]608301[/ATTACH]

This is one I did last year. It was a challenge, as I had to make the blocks first with already cut squares.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]608302[/ATTACH]

mjpEncinitas 02-11-2019 10:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I’ve been playing around with it. All the suggestions were good and I used them. I love Gays suggestion and will try that on my design wall, although I’m not sure I want to frame all the blocks. I’d like to finish this up quickly. I know it will really look busy without doing that.

Here is one option. The watermelon block is oversized. so I’ll have to figure that out. I still need to cut a few fillers. I plan to have the word summer on the blue rectangle. It’s 4’9” square. I’ll sit and look at it a few days and see if I can convince myself to do the framing.

Thanks for the suggestions, they were helpful.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]608310[/ATTACH]

Mkotch 02-12-2019 06:07 AM

You're well on your way to a lovely quilt!

SuziSew 02-12-2019 06:33 AM

I'll be watching to see what you do...I still have mine that I haven't put together! :)

IrishMom 02-12-2019 07:23 AM

I really like Gay's layout! When I did mine I added white borders to calm it and kept the watermelon on it's side. I didn't enter as many blocks as you did so I didn't have as many beautiful blocks to arrange! I'm finishing up a tee shirt quilt with different sizes, so I understand how complicated that can get!

danydany 02-12-2019 07:36 AM

"Here is one option. The watermelon block is oversized. so I’ll have to figure that out."

How about you put the watermelon block on the back (as a label?). You could put it on point there (if you like). And add label info (made by; assembled by; date; etc.) using fabric marker or embroidery in the white "logs" of the block.

It will be a nice quilt, and bring you memories and smiles every time you look at it. Have fun with it.
...dany