Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Life (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-life-t54159.html)

Maride 07-12-2010 02:57 PM

I had in my hands a $10 gift certificate to Borders, so there I headed. I knew $10 wouldn't get me far in the books section, so I headed to the magazines. I found an issue (the second one, I think) of Quilt Life. I am a big fan of Ricky Tims. Not so much of Alex Anderson, but I respect her for her work at Simply Quilts. Not so much for her own work, but for finding new faces and so many different techniques. Oopps, I am off topic.

I picked up the issue and went home. I have been reading it for two nights and have still not found a single article worth reading. There is nothing new, nothing interesting, just same old stuff and a lot of ads. Have I said that I hate ads? I am happy I didn't get a subscription.

Am I the only one who thinks like this? What is YOUR opinion?

craftybear 07-12-2010 02:59 PM

yes, lots of magazines now have tons of ads and not worth buying,

can you take it back and exchange it for another quilt magazine or book, worth a try!

katmom54 07-12-2010 03:01 PM

I love magazines, but hate it when I get home and there is nothing good enough to take 5 minutes of my time reading it. At Border's, it is ok to read the mags and books - they encourage it! and have the mag section right next to the cafe - so I often just take time to look through the ones I think might be good, and if they catch my interest, I buy them. That way I can weed out the duds. I almost always find one I like...

jlong 07-12-2010 03:04 PM

My LQS sells old magazines for $1. I enjoy picking them for that price.

AlleyCat 07-12-2010 03:29 PM

bought a subscription to Quilt Life. Figured since it was Ricky Tims and his books are awesome that the new mag would have several intresting things. With Alex Anderson her books are so helpful that they might have some tricks up their sleeves.....needless to say I'm very disappointed.

Candace 07-12-2010 03:54 PM

I just keep seeing the same old quilt patterns and blocks labeled with "new" names and really nothing that inspires me. I find the quilts posted here give me much more inspiration.

littlehud 07-12-2010 06:11 PM

I get almost no mags anymore. Same problem. Nothing new.

Kas 07-12-2010 07:27 PM

Well, I got a great recipe for green enchiladas out of the first issue! That is about all. Didn't even buy the second one.

Joanie2 07-12-2010 07:51 PM

When I see a new magazine hit the stands my first instinct is to buy it. But I have a new rule -- the magazine must have 3 patterns that I absolutely love or it stays on the shelf. I have the same rule with new books. I just don't have enough space to buy books and magazines on impulse. And I've saved a lot of money this way. Trade, lend and borrow magazines with your friends. Look for books at the used book stores. Don't be disappointed by another book or magazine.

amma 07-12-2010 08:14 PM

This is why I have cancelled my subscriptions :(