Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is this quilt a lost cause? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-lost-cause-t230737.html)

GiddyUpGo 09-21-2013 08:46 AM

Is this quilt a lost cause?

So the good news is, I just got a Baby Lock Crescendo to replace my $200 Brother sewing machine. Yay! My new machine is super-dreamy and so much fun to use. I decided to give it its trial run on a little baby quilt I'm making for my son's first-grade teacher, who is expecting. Here's the problem: I decided to do some simple stippling on the quilt which is the only sort of FMQ that I'm OK at. I can do it with pretty good results on my Brother, but apparently this machine is different enough that the way I did it on my Brother is not compatible with my Baby Lock. So I quilted the whole thing feeling really confident about myself and then I flipped it over and ... Gack. The tension on the back is all messed up. You can see the loops from the top thread and the bobbin thread is just sort of lying there under the loops.

So I know this is not the machine, it's me and my speed/coordination/etc. So clearly I should have done some practice quilting first, ok lesson learned. But my question is, is this quilt ruined now? Should I toss it and make her a whole new one, or will it still hold together (given that it's a baby quilt and will probably be washed frequently)? It's really cute and I'm quite upset with myself for messing it up the way I did.

Scissor Queen 09-21-2013 08:51 AM

You should be able to take the quilting out and do it over. Take it out from the back since the bobbin thread is just laying on the surface. When it's washed the needle holes will disappear.

Tartan 09-21-2013 08:51 AM

How loopy is the back? If the top thread is pulled to the back and the bobbin thread is just laying on the back, a wash should help the quilt puff enough to even out the stitching. If there are actual loose loops, washing won't help. The good news is, you can pull out the bobbin thread easily and re-quilt the quilt if necessary.

nanna-up-north 09-21-2013 08:58 AM

I agree totally..... pull out the bobbin threads. I always do things like that while DH watches baseball or football. He likes me to be 'with' him and I'm doing my thing..... works for me.

JustAbitCrazy 09-21-2013 06:43 PM

So sorry, but you need to pull that all out and re-quilt it. I wouldn't gift it that way.

DogHouseMom 09-21-2013 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 6306256)
You should be able to take the quilting out and do it over. Take it out from the back since the bobbin thread is just laying on the surface. When it's washed the needle holes will disappear.

Agree as well ... if it's really that loopy, the bobbin thread should pull right though then all you need to do is pick up the top thread.

As for quilting it again ... yes certainly get out some practice sandwiches. I do this with every single quilt. I test the thread, the needle, the tension to make sure everything is compatible. If the whole thing is loopy, it sounds like a tension problem so should be easy to fix with the top tension (increase it).

notmorecraft 09-22-2013 12:38 AM

Sorry best thing as all replies is to take the stitching out, I had this prob when I first fmq'd, and after watching u tube from missouri star, I realised I was using my auto tension button, and this was causing the issue. MS video recommended setting tension at 8 (they were using a janome, which is what I have) after I set my tension at 8, I still had the odd wee loop but not the whole thing looping which was what it was doing previously, hope you get your quilt sorted :)