Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Markers - Need tried and true (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-markers-need-tried-true-t155942.html)

Dena789 09-27-2011 10:10 AM

I would be very concerned about the effect of the chemical residue left in the fabric from the Frixion pens. Even though the marks disappear with the iron, the chemical ink is still there. Who knows what reaction may take place down the line? I'm not going to chance it.

RobertaMarie 09-27-2011 10:32 AM

I do the same as Cherylsea in cross hatching. The tape leaves no mark and is easily moved after your line is quilted. Saves time and frustration in marking.

LivelyLady 09-27-2011 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by nycbgirl
I used the Frixion pen as well and I reallly liked it and the marks came out completely.

Me too! I only wish they would come out with a white. I did get a pink one at a quilt show :D

FroggyinTexas 09-27-2011 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by myrna
I have started experimenting with the Pilot Frixion ball erasable gel pen (phew ... that's all on the package!) Anyway, not only is it erasable ... it is thermo-sensitive. Passing a warm iron over it also makes it go away. So far I have only used it on the back side or the fabric and it DOES go away with the heat of the iron. The package I have comes with ried, blue and black pens. As an aside, I also do like the fine line it makes.

Someone in our guild did research and discovered the mark comes back if the quilt is exposed to cold. She put the marked fabric in the refrigerator. The tought was that if you left a quilt in your car in wintertime, the marks would come back. However, unless you plan to refrigerate your quilt or leave it in the car in a blizzard, I don't think you would be endangering it. froggyintexas

IBQLTN 09-27-2011 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas

Originally Posted by myrna
I have started experimenting with the Pilot Frixion ball erasable gel pen (phew ... that's all on the package!) Anyway, not only is it erasable ... it is thermo-sensitive. Passing a warm iron over it also makes it go away. So far I have only used it on the back side or the fabric and it DOES go away with the heat of the iron. The package I have comes with ried, blue and black pens. As an aside, I also do like the fine line it makes.

Someone in our guild did research and discovered the mark comes back if the quilt is exposed to cold. She put the marked fabric in the refrigerator. The tought was that if you left a quilt in your car in wintertime, the marks would come back. However, unless you plan to refrigerate your quilt or leave it in the car in a blizzard, I don't think you would be endangering it. froggyintexas

And if I were in the car in a blizzard I don't think I'd be worried about the lines on the quilt! LOL

However, I did have an incident where I left my YLI invisible thread in the trunk overnight in the winter in Wisconsin and when I got to the quilt store the next day to do my demonstration, the thread crumbled into the machine. Fortunately, I was able to clean it out and 'go on with the show'!

madamekelly 09-27-2011 03:13 PM

I would just use my walking foot, and the space bar (metal guide) that fits on the back. I have used it several times for small quilts, and am now looking forward to using it on a larger quilt, thanks to all of you who post links and tutorials.

dottientx 09-27-2011 03:49 PM

Add my name to the list of fans for the Pilot Frixion Pens. I've been using them ever since they hit the market. I bought a package of three colors (red,blue and black) and use them when marking anything to do with piecing and quilting. A warm iron makes all the marks completely disappear like magic! Try them and I'm pretty sure you'll like 'em.

angiecub 09-27-2011 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kat Sews
I use chalk board chalk sharpened with a big pencil sharpener. It comes in colors if you need them. Have never had a problem with it coming out.

Wow, love this idea! Going to try it next time!

Rose L 09-27-2011 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by nycbgirl
I used the Frixion pen as well and I reallly liked it and the marks came out completely.

Ditto!! Love these pens and the Frixion markers (highlighters?) work the same way. For permanent removal...just wash the quilt.

Lindsey 09-27-2011 03:55 PM

Wal mart sells those cheap blue wash out pens and I know alot of quilters who use them and soak them out of their quilts. Blue painters tape would work for ch..