Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilt marking (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-marking-t185805.html)

anita211 04-14-2012 02:49 AM

Sewline has excellent pencils that come out easily.

Anita in Northfield, MN

indymta 04-14-2012 03:21 AM

This has been such an interesting topic with so many options. Tried quilting with the yellow paper and was so tired of pulling out the bits of paper that I will probably not try that again! Been sending the few quilts I've made since to a long-armer but told myself I would try FMQ this summer. So, I've got some options!

paulswalia 04-14-2012 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by An Arm Long (Post 5138982)
Thanks everyone for all the info. I will share it with my guild. We had tried alot of those things but did not realize that there were differences in graphite pencils. I will try it on sample fabric now.
It is true that frixion pens will take the color out of some darker fabrics. I did stripes on a red fabric and when I ironed it the blue frixion marks came out but there were very thin white lines in their place.

A Checker (quilting notions) distributor yesterday told me this about Frixion pens. If using on a batik, iron them away and if a white line remains, use Best Press to remove the white line.

If using on regular quilting cotton (not batik) the lines will come away with the tap of an iron or (my favorite choice) by tossing the quilt in a clothes dryer for a while. Here's the complication - if the quilt gets cold, really cold, the lines will re-appear. So if you are apt to leave a quilt in a car in the winter or if you compete at big shows where your quilt may get shipped in the cargo hold of an airplane, be aware that your markings will come back. That's a problem. Multiple washings will remove the marks, but may still have little bits re-appearing for a while.

That being said, I really like these pens because they make such a fine line and come out so easily with an iron or a dryer.

judykay 04-14-2012 08:34 AM

I just watched this fantastic video. I am a hand quilter however many of there hints are great for both machine and hand quilting. Thank you so much for posting this.

carol45 04-14-2012 03:10 PM

There's a product called Wash Away Applique Sheets. You can print on them, they are fusible on one side, and they are water soluble. I bought some, but I haven't tried them yet.

hawaiilove 04-14-2012 04:18 PM

Anyone tried the Frixion pens - they work very well.

bjeriann 04-14-2012 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by carol45 (Post 5141118)
There's a product called Wash Away Applique Sheets. You can print on them, they are fusible on one side, and they are water soluble. I bought some, but I haven't tried them yet.

I love them. I usually wash my quilts and it has always washed out.

sniktasemaj 04-14-2012 05:41 PM

I saw on one of the quilting shows yesterday that you can use regular white childrens chalk, sharpen it with a pencil sharpener and use it. I have't tried it yet.