Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilt marking (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-marking-t187788.html)

honeybee_2000 05-01-2012 08:02 AM

quilt marking

how do I make a floral quilt marking on the entire quilt for hand quilting? the fabrics are medium and dark colors.

Beachbound 05-01-2012 08:17 AM

What pattern do you want to do? I usually use masking tape for straight lines, cross hatches. I have tried several pencils/pens for designs. I am currently using the piliot pen that disappears when you iron it. So far I love it. Some have said the lines come back if they get very cold but living in Ga/Fl I don't worry about that & I never have put a quilt in the freezer yet,;)

Holice 05-01-2012 08:18 AM

what are you using for the design? A stencil, design on paper etc......

honeybee_2000 05-01-2012 10:59 AM

I have found some large stencils on ebay that are floral scribble and about 10 1/2 inches in size. Didnt know if there was any other ideas out there other. Im open to suggestions...:)

honeybee_2000 05-01-2012 10:59 AM

does a piliot pen come in different colors to mark on dark and medium fabrics?

feline fanatic 05-01-2012 11:42 AM

If you are planning on using a stencil I recommend the pounce pad with the ultimate white powder. The kind you have to iron to make the mark disappear. That would be the easiest way to mark your dark and medium colored quilt for hand quilting if the design you like is a stencil.

Holice 05-01-2012 02:26 PM

For different color of fabric I will use different marking pencils. Usually the white Multi-Pastel Chalk made by General Pencil Co, and light gray and sometime dark gray. They erase and wash out. I am afraid of the Fixon because even tho the color comes out with iron, the chemical is still in the fabric. I know the lines will reappear in cold but it is other qualities that make me fearful of using it. While everyone laughs and says they will never put their quilt in the freezer, I wonder what would happen if the quilt was in a cold climate and in a cold room. Some rooms get as cold as the freezer in the winter. And if we give the quilt to someone else we never know how it is to be used.

117becca 05-01-2012 02:45 PM

The frixion is supposed to come out when you wash it.....as always, try it on scrap.

Buckeye Rose 05-01-2012 02:48 PM

I use the Frixxion pen all the time and love it! I have the black one and while it is great for lighter fabrics, it might leave a lighter colored line after ironing off the black.....it's no issue for white or lights, but for darks it can be visible....I've heard that it will wash out, but haven't washed anything I've marked yet. They come in many colors too. I am going to try the washable crayola markers next....I hear tell they are better. But with whichever way you try to mark your quilt, do yourself a favor and try a sample sandwich....mark it, then wash it to make sure it comes out.

honeybee_2000 05-01-2012 04:24 PM

where do you buy these frixion pens?