Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which quilt pattern intimidates you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-pattern-intimidates-you-t206169.html)

Pennyhal 08-07-2014 09:45 AM

For me mariners compass totally scares me.

Sewnoma 08-07-2014 10:03 AM

Anything with triangles, curved seams, Y-seams, or that involves paper piecing.

Pretty much everything but squares and rectangles, at this point! But I'm getting better and better with each quilt.

SOME day I want to make a Double Wedding Ring, a Storm at Sea, and one of those awesome Judy Niemeyer (I think I misspelled her last name) PP quilts. I'm just barely brave enough to try a Drunkard's Path now...as soon as I finish a few gifts I have in progress, that's my next Big Adventure. :)

Cathy77 08-07-2014 10:09 AM

I wouldn't say that I'm intimidated with any patterns, there are just a few things that I think my skill set is not up for (yet?). Such as y seams or curves.

I'm mostly making up my own patterns anyway, so I just make things without them.

GrammaNan 08-07-2014 10:20 AM

All of the above. I am still staying safe with 9 patch, DNP and French Braid. I have promised myself to take a class to build my confidence. May we all stop being sissies and dive in to one pattern that intimidates us by the end of the year!!!

loisf 08-07-2014 11:31 AM

Like many of the others, I'm not really intimidated by any pattern, I either don't like them well enough (double wedding ring, bargello, anything with hexagons) or they seem too tedious and never-ending (Dear Jane, Baltimore Album). I enjoy learning new techniques and will try anything once.

mike'sgirl 08-07-2014 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5662838)
I can't think of any. Some I find very tedious to finish though.

Good to see you. We were just saying how we missed you.

cathyre 08-07-2014 08:03 PM

Double wedding ring , love the pattern just not game enough to try . Cathy

QuiltnLady1 08-07-2014 08:19 PM

Cathedral Windows -- I bought myself one from the thrift shop because I love the quilt and know I will never do it.

ManiacQuilter2 08-08-2014 07:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jclinganrey (Post 5661627)
I've been a quilter for a few decades and I've seen pretty much everything in my quilting career. What baffles me, however, is that certain patterns or techniques just intimidate the living daylights out of me. I don't know why. They just do. For me, it's the Bargello quilt technique. I'll leave it to those are good at it. Yep. It's Bargello. How about you?

Hi jclinganrey. Dear Jane scares the willies out of me !! There is no reason to fear a Bargello. Have you done a Trip Around the World?? That is basically what a bargello is but with the various widths thrown in the mix. I have to say that a design wall comes in pretty handy. I am disable with limited motor skills so I make sure I have ever row marked. Many patterns come with an outline design so you know where to put what where. There is a simple bargello pattern called the Bargello Book by Piecemakers (Costa Mesa). My quilts are photographed in that book. There is a very simple lap quilt that any quilter especially you could make. The hardest part is picking out the 12 fabrics. But then we go back to the Trip Around the World. Those fabric go from light to dark and so do Bargello. I am sure if you stopped by their store, they would be delighted to help you. You will find that piecing this quilt is as simple as baking a pie. I am sure you are better at that than I am. :)

There are a lot of us skill Bargello piecers that would be delighted to help you get over your fears, We are always here and waiting to help you. PM me. I am just over those tall mountain east of you down the 15 frwy!! I finished this a few weeks ago. I am currently sewing on the binding to the back.